Octo Hitchhikers - help please :)

Hi everyone, I'm a new octo freak around these parts, and I come with a request.
Can you please provide/point me to pictures of any octopod getting a lift, either on jellyfishes or salps?
Oh, and Blanket Octopuses with stolen Portuguese Man O' War tentacles are also very very welcome!
Super thanks in advance :smile:
Cheers

That is a tall order. There are a few photos/videos running around the net of octos attaching to humans and porpoises (most likely to avoid being eaten) but I don't recall images of them "riding" animals for transportation. Jellyfish are not considered part of their normal fare and I have my doubts about the latest image suggesting the use of borrowed stinging tentacles used as weapons or defense tools.

Hi Vanessa

A very good starting point is Tolweb.org. They have images, summaries of behaviours and references to follow up on.
Argonauta
Tremoctopus
Ocythoe tuberculata

I think the relationship for Argonauta and Tremoctopus spp. has been known for a surprisingly long time though still hasn't been fully investigated. Much less is known about Ocythoe and salps.

Beyond TolWeb, this popped up on twitter a couple weeks ago. The species in it aren't identified but the image is really high quality.
"Blackwater" Diving Produces Amazing Photos of Rare Marine Life

If I may ask, what are you working on? I've just started a project looking at these taxa as well and couldn't believe the coincidence. Good luck and keep us posted here.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back