Octo from Philippines - Abdopus Aculeatus(?)

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I've read that cyanide is still being used in some countries but I am not sure how true that is today as it takes a long time for old news to be replaced by more current practices (I believe it is illegal everywhere there is live fish collection now, if not globally, but implementation of laws varies). My thought is to not keep this on a list of possible answers, especially since it stayed alive for a period of time at the LFS.

Justine27

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
I've read that cyanide is still being used in some countries but I am not sure how true that is today as it takes a long time for old news to be replaced by more current practices (I believe it is illegal everywhere there is live fish collection now, if not globally, but implementation of laws varies). My thought is to not keep this on a list of possible answers, especially since it stayed alive for a period of time at the LFS.
The LFS owner has flown to some of the suppliers out there, and he said cyanide is definitely still an active practice there... As they use a lot of children for capturing in tidal areas, and no one really monitors collection practices. He only orders from one Indonesian supplier, as he's been to their warehouse and gone out collecting with them several times. It's quite common for saltwater fish to die of cyanide poisoning in the trade. I had a possum wrasse die of cyanide poisoning a few months ago actually. I know it can take months for cyanide to become fatal in larger fish like tangs, but not sure how quickly it would kill inverts. Maybe not the reason my little guy passed, but potentially could be a factor in mysterious deaths of other octos?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure it would not have been the case with mine as almost all of mine have been Caribbean and I know the collector for most of those. Cephs react pretty quickly to bad water so I would still put it low on the possibility list but I am guessing and have no references for my thinking.

Sad to hear that this is still being practiced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr.PS

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak