• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo food

Oh. I thought I typed 20, not 200. I just fed him some freshwater crab in the meantime. However, he looks completely stone white and he hasn't moved from his den. I see one little eye raised and a tentacle around him. Is this how they sleep? I hope he gets up around noon. Did I do something wrong? He was really full last night.

I'm such a worrywort. Our baby is doing just fine! (I swear, I shouldn't have IRL kids. I'd worry too much and make them and myself neurotic!) I went in to move around some rocks to see if we had a dead body and he lashed at me with 2 tentacles! He's growing fast! His arms are so thick now and his mantle is getting as big as an orange. He's very curious still and he'll play games with anyone who comes around him. Yesterday, he played games with my grandma when she would put her finger near him. He'd try to grab it against the glass.

I think we may have a leak in our skimmer, but I'm going to cure that by getting some sealant (sp?) today at a LFS. It's not big, but it still worries me. You guys should know how I am by now.

We're also getting an underwater vacuum to get up his poo. He's making alot of it lately. How can I get the dead carcasses that are stuck against the side of his den without peoing him? I really hate disturbing him at all.

I'll get some pictures of him later. He's grown so big!

I also ordered 20 crabs. Thanks for your help Nancy! You guys have been very responsive. I thought it was funny that you thought I asked for 200 crabs lol.

Apryl,

A note about crabs from the supermarket. Unless you find a supermarket or seafood store that has a tank with live crabs, most likely all crabs for sale in the fish departement are cooked, whether fresh or frozen. I was told it was because they did not keep well. You might want to check into this.

Shrimp is sometimes available fresh, but mostly frozen and thawed out in the supermarket or seafood store.

Nancy

I gave him quite a bit and he seemed content. He'll have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday for his crabs. I can always toss in a hermit crab if he starts flashing his feeding colors.

I have an issue though.

I discovered a leak in my skimmer. Is there anyway that I can stop it? Like sealant, or duct tape without turning it off? He keeps panicking whenever I turn it off to fix it and I don't want him stressed.at.all!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back