Octo food

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by AprylWillis, Oct 8, 2006.

1. AprylWillis

AprylWillis GPO Registered

Where is a good place to get some cheap fiddler crabs? I want to get quite a bundle...maybe more than 25 if I can. I went to one of the sites and they said they had fiddler crabs at 25 for up to $60. I think that's a bit much. Can anyone help me? We still have some, so I'm not worried at this point.

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Have a look at i need cuttle's post about free fiddlers in the Cuttlefish Care Forum. His cuttle recently died and he has fiddlers to give away if you'll pay the shipping.

Nancy

3. AprylWillis

I see that he sold them to someone already. Dang it!

I'm going to buy him some more food this week and I really wanted to do it during the middle of the week. Nancy, if you know of anyone else, or if anyone else is reading this, I am very VERY interested in buying some fiddler crabs. They have to be of a decent size. He eats 2 small ones right now.
    I live in Great Falls, Montana so anyone who is reading this can determine pricing for shipping and handling.

4. Nancy

Have you looked at the Aquaculture Store
    http://www.aquaculturestore.com/products.html
    under saltwater inverts - they sell for over a dollar including shipping.
    You might be able to combine that with thawed frozen shrimp so could offer one fiddler a day, or two every other day.

Nancy

5. AprylWillis

Do you know any other place that sells them in bundles?

6. AprylWillis

My octopus detests shrimp lol

7. Nancy

See whether your LFS will order them in large quantities and sell them to you. They're not so difficult to keep.

Nancy

8. AprylWillis

The LFS is PetCo and they won't sell them to me. That site you gave me won't let me do more than 1 quantity. I'm basically at a dead end right now. I'll have to buy him freshwater crab I guess.

9. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Where can you get freshwater crab???

Where are you located? The aquaculturestore.com sells them in lots of 10 and you can order more than one quantity (set of ten) at a time. You should try and find a LFS that is not a big chain, they sometimes are more flexible. Good luck.

10. AprylWillis

I'm in a small town so it's kind of difficult to do that. How do you order them in more than one bulk of 10? I'm having a difficult time doing that. It just keeps showing up as 1 quantity when I specifically put 2 quantity. I'm trying to get at least 20-30, but I'm not having much luck. I'm even willing to buy from someone at Tonmo.com.

11. cuttlegirl

I tried it with 10 in the quantity box and it changed the price accordingly. Then when it was in the shopping cart, I changed it to 2 and pressed "change this quantity" and it adjusted it. Failing this, if you email them or call, they will accomodate you.

I don't know where you are located, or how small your town is, but it might be worth investigating a drive to a bigger city in your area... at least you would save on shipping costs...

12. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

You've never been in Montana have you? Great Falls IS the bigger city!:lol:

13. AprylWillis

Roflmao. Burn! Great falls IS unfortunately the bigger city. We don't have many pet stores who are willing to sell in bulk. They're quite greedy bastards.

14. cuttlegirl

Yikes, sorry I didn't realize that you lived in Montana... now I know why you are having so much trouble... road trip to Washington to catch your own fiddlers??? Only about an 11 hour trip I would imagine :bugout: .

15. Nancy

Phone the Aquaculture Store - it's family-run and they're nice people.
    Explain your problem and maybe they can arrange something. I don't think you need 200 at a time, but 20 or 30 would be nice.

Have you offered thawed frozen shrimp to your octo? - you can usually feed this and offer a fiddler a day, or every other day.

Shore shrimp from the Aquaculture store are also a possibility, but I wouldn't get them for a very young octo.

Nancy

16. AprylWillis

Oh. I thought I typed 20, not 200. I just fed him some freshwater crab in the meantime. However, he looks completely stone white and he hasn't moved from his den. I see one little eye raised and a tentacle around him. Is this how they sleep? I hope he gets up around noon. Did I do something wrong? He was really full last night.

17. AprylWillis

I was able to get the crab from a local supermarket. They had specialialty items. I fed him a piece of the crab arm.

18. AprylWillis

I'm such a worrywort. Our baby is doing just fine! (I swear, I shouldn't have IRL kids. I'd worry too much and make them and myself neurotic!) I went in to move around some rocks to see if we had a dead body and he lashed at me with 2 tentacles! He's growing fast! His arms are so thick now and his mantle is getting as big as an orange. He's very curious still and he'll play games with anyone who comes around him. Yesterday, he played games with my grandma when she would put her finger near him. He'd try to grab it against the glass.

I think we may have a leak in our skimmer, but I'm going to cure that by getting some sealant (sp?) today at a LFS. It's not big, but it still worries me. You guys should know how I am by now.

We're also getting an underwater vacuum to get up his poo. He's making alot of it lately. How can I get the dead carcasses that are stuck against the side of his den without peoing him? I really hate disturbing him at all.

I'll get some pictures of him later. He's grown so big!

I also ordered 20 crabs. Thanks for your help Nancy! You guys have been very responsive. I thought it was funny that you thought I asked for 200 crabs lol.

19. Nancy

Apryl,

A note about crabs from the supermarket. Unless you find a supermarket or seafood store that has a tank with live crabs, most likely all crabs for sale in the fish departement are cooked, whether fresh or frozen. I was told it was because they did not keep well. You might want to check into this.

Shrimp is sometimes available fresh, but mostly frozen and thawed out in the supermarket or seafood store.

Nancy

20. AprylWillis

I gave him quite a bit and he seemed content. He'll have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday for his crabs. I can always toss in a hermit crab if he starts flashing his feeding colors.

I have an issue though.

I discovered a leak in my skimmer. Is there anyway that I can stop it? Like sealant, or duct tape without turning it off? He keeps panicking whenever I turn it off to fix it and I don't want him stressed.at.all!