OCTO FOOD HELP

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by nini, Jun 23, 2005.

1. nini

nini Wonderpus Registered

how long will 200 clam last an octo?
    also,should octos have more food verities,or just one thing, like clams?

2. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Like anything it depends on the individual. 200 clams should last a while tho' you may want to open them to start with for your octi, not all can get through the shells, it's a learned behaviour for many octis.

Regarding variety.............I'd go for some, add in some shrimps or crabs. Also not all octis will eat clams Squidgy won't...he's a crustacean lover!

J

3. clownfish

clownfish Vampyroteuthis Registered

octopus need a lot of different types of live food. you will need to get a seporate food tank for you octopus about 10 to 15 gallons

4. i got crabs

i got crabs GPO Registered

on the topic of food does any 1 use the shrimp from shrimpstuff.com to feed there octo. being semi land locked i have a hard time finding in expesive food sources as the pet stores in mt area(includeing petco) arnt carying fiddlers anymore. would a 10gal be a large enough feeder to sustain the smallest order u can get from them? any other info would also b apreciated.

5. octopus_octo

octopus_octo Blue Ring Registered

I fed my octo frozen shrimp for a while but i switched it up now and then my ldea is to start of whith crabs

6. nini

OK, SOOO, i need a seperate tank, for the live food?
    is that only to keep the food alive?
    why is that?

7. nini

thanx ahead :smile:

8. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Having a seperate tank for food is good as you don't want any of your live food accidently dying in your main tank and fouling up the water affecting your octo etc.

Also you don't want to many feeder animals in your tank, it could stress out your octo or even harrass it. With food all over the place, your octo will be able to eat anytime of the day, not only when you're around. And trust me, watching cephs feed is fun, and a great way to interact with your ceph :smile: