• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo, Cuttle, Eel and Shark

Octohk;138440 said:
Here's the video of the unlikely friends

That is VERY cool. I'm sorry I was a little harsh on you at first, however that shark DOES NOT belong in that tank. You're talking a year, MAYBE two before you have to get rid of it, and there's not that many people who will take it and the aquariums are swamped with these types of offers. I'm sorry, but it's just plain irresponsible to get a shark when you aren't prepared for it, and have no (apparent) plans to upgrade to a VERY large and open tank. Anyone who buys a shark and doesn't have the means to keep it throughout it's life is just plain not thinking and irresponsible. I don't mean to be harsh, but there's no kinder way to say it. I'm very interested in watching the progress, and do hope that you will post the goods AND, more importantly, the bads (if any) that come from this, and that you figure out what you will do with the shark.

It is very interesting to see the gentleness between the ribbon and the octo. What I find most interesting is that you are the second to report this kind of interaction (see my prior ribbon eel link), including the gentle touching. Sometimes odd couples end up changing relationships as they mature and one of the pair kills the other but Dom's ribbon and octo lived and slept together throughout the octos life (she ultimately brooded dud eggs and died naturally with no negative effects to either critter). I am hoping you have the same success (and continue to note the relationship throughout Nelly's life) and that we may start to establish a potential companion for at least some species of octopus.

They seem to really like each other and they continue to try to share the same cave. However, Octo Elly is now giving up and moving to a new cave (he moved half the shells from the tank over to a new spot). Actually, this Ribbon Eel seems to be very laid back with everything in the tank.....even small fish that swim right by her face are not scared. Interestingly the Bamboo shark also seems to have no interested in her at all.

I think alot has to do with the fact that everyone is very well fed (Octo, Eel, Shark all take frozen foods daily from me as well as catch the small fish and shrimp in the tank).

I will keep this thread updated as time goes on.

I would not expect the Bamboo to be a problem for the octo but don't know of anyone else who has attempted the mix. These sharks have very small mouths and are problematic eaters (my son's hatchling would not eat and died a few months after it left the egg). Even if it took an interest in the octopus, it is not likely it could catch or kill it but water quaility and ensuring that the Bamboo is eating are a big concern.

The Bamboo is eating like a pig so far. Anything I put in front of him he eats (shrimp, fish, salmon, etc)

Thanks for all your advice. Its been very helpful. The Octo was sitting on his head one day (I was a bit worried) but the Bamboo did not seem to care at all.

Thanks, I saw it. My Octo is far too small to attack the Bamboo and the Bamboo so far has no interest at all in the octo. I will keep you posted.

Quick Update - Its been a couple of months now and I can report that the Octo, Ribbon Eel, Bamboo Shark and Cuttlefish are all still getting along. Cuttlefish and Octo seem to have no interest in each other at all. Octo and Eel still sleep together in various caves. Happy to report no casualties.....so far so good.

Quick Update #2
Bamboo suddenly became aggressive to Octo and had to be moved. He started hunting the Octo. Dont want to wait around and see what happens. Dont recommend keeping Bamboo with small Octo. However, Ribbon Eel, Octo and Cuddle all remain fine together (Along with various Hermit crabs and a Horsehoe Crab)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back