• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo counterparts

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I really appreciate it.

RC--I know just what you mean about your wife. I had a snowflake eel in my reef once, and everything was fine until he annihilated her little bangai cardinal right when we added it to the tank. After that, she absolutely hated the eel--and hates eels to this day. Oh well!

My freshwater ray made a similar impact when it ate all the rummynose tetras!!!!

the rummies tend to sleep lying on the bottom of the tank and at night the ray would cruise along and suck them up, or pin them agaisnt the glass with its disc and then move them towards the mouth.. rattled through about 20 in a week or so!!!

now teh ray is gone and we have 10 happy rummies :smile:

it was pretty cool, the neon goby had his little cleaning station set up and anytime the eel would come through there the goby would clean him and the eal would stay still with his mouth open allowing the goby to do his thing, unfortunately the goby got what looked like a parasite and died not long after, i will soon get another

Melissa--nope, my wife still hates eel in any form, food or pet! :wink:

Funny thing happened to us a year ago in Florida. We were walking down the street (near the ocean), and we found an eel writhing in the middle of the road. Odd, yes. I can only imagine a seagull caught it and dropped it. Anyhow, I threw it back. I could tell my wife would have preferred to keep walking. :bugout:

I have 2 mated clowns and a damsel in my tank. They are reminants of the original inhabitants. I got all of them out except those last 3 fish. At first the octo was freaked out. Everytime they "bolted" he would recoil. I have only had them 3-4 weeks, but now the octo doesnt even seem to care. They dont mess with him, and vice versa. I dont think this is the norm though. I'm still trying to get them out, but they dont want to leave I guess, as they hide with him when I stick a net in.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back