• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo and coral

The Kenya should be fine, the other two (as well as any corals considered aggressive) are likely to harm an octopus. Octopuses do not go around anything in their way. In the wild there is infinite space, not the case in an aquarium.

I put King Solomon in a mixed reef, all be it a small amount of reef for the 125 long tank (ill try to post a video from facebook if i can get directions to do so) im curious about my set up in this situation as well. From the info i gained from my LFS owner who has kept octo in a mixed reef its more a concern for sps coral and coral on frag plugs that can be moved around, than the octopus itself. was not aware that hammers or other euphyllia would severely sting an octo, just assumed if it happened the octo would be smart enough to avoid it in the future (again presuming there is plenty of space like my 125) absolutely would love to hear your opinion DWhatley

ill try to post a video from facebook if i can get directions to do so
To embed a Facebook video:
  • Be sure your video on Facebook has a public viewing security clearance.
  • Right click on the Facebook video and select.
  • Left click on the "show video URL" selection in the popped up menu.
  • Right click on the displayed URL
  • Left click on the "copy" selection in the pop up menu
  • Right click on your desired TONMO post
  • Left click on the "paste" selection in the pop up menu
just assumed if it happened the octo would be smart enough to avoid it in the future
Sadly, no, an octopus is not particularly likely to go around anything but you can see a reaction when it gets stung. The primary octo concern is infection. One of the things many people fail to consider is the size of our mini-oceans vs the volume of an actual ocean. To us, a 100+ gallon tank is large, compared to the homeworld of our critters it is smaller than a drop of water. The dilution rate for waste and for stinging cells in the water column can't be compared.

Watch your powerheads. This is the best style I know of for an octo tank but they can still get their arms in the impeller. I use a media net (link is not a vendor recommendation but is for style) around them to prevent chopping off arms but it will reduce the flow for your corals.

will do, did that to my returns, wasnt sure how the power heads would respond. originally planned on using a gyre with the foam covers but my gyre was bought used but between Irkalla passing away and Solomon coming to the store, the gyre stopped working due to bent shafts and destroyed "bearings". a rebuild seemed too expensive vs upgrading to the new model. how do you feel about the gyre set up?

Sadly, I have not experimented much with corals and flow. Maybe one day I will try a coral tank but I have never been one to appreciate fish as much as other critters and observation of others suggest that a healthy coral tank needs its fish.

gotcha, ill say my assumption was that the octo being a messy eater would kick up extra niblets/assumed its waste would be plenty and picked up by a solid flow rate and kicked into the corals path at some point. from the beginning i made sure i could over feed the tank, including spot feeding coral, using an extreme amount of "extra" bio filtration, about 600 rated gallons of matrix/pond matrix, 300 rated gallons worth of marine-pure media bricks, and two 46oz chemi-pure elite bags in a 180ish gallon system. system has been fowlr for a year with mainly inverts and a few damsels. overkill? probably, but coral (was in a different system) seems happy even with an aggressive and rapid move into the new system, and i have not water changed in a month, even before octo addition. I plan to do so very soon for safety, but every test has been in a prime/safe realm. 1ppm nitrate, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia. .02 phosphate, 9.5 dkh, 400-450 Ca. have to figure out the exact PH realm with the lids but i expect it to stay safe with all the other readings where they need to be, and the 40 breeder display refugium with an open top.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back