• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo and Anemone

i've read that some people have had success keeping fish with A. aculeatus. could i keep an anemone and a pair of clownfish with the octo? i'm thinking of doing a carpet anemone. do they have a potent sting?

Wow, I'm not the most expert on octos, but one of the worst stings I've ever gotten as a human was from a carpet! I'd never keep an aculeatus with either an anemone or even clown fish. The general story about keeping fish with octos is if the fish is aggressive enough to not get eaten by the octo, they are aggressive enough to HARM the octo! Clown fish and other damsels fall in the category of being potentially mean enough to blind an octo. Some other mild, low light corals or tube worms could be fine. Cruise the history of this thread to get an idea of what people keep with their octos- not a lot!

Carpets are supposed to be very aggressive and that is why I have never tried one even though I have often admired them and could obtaine one for myself more reasonably than most.

Anemones are one thing I DO know about, after 25 years as a hobbyist. For a non- ceph tank with carefully chosen fish, a carpet is a beautiful creature! I had one once that turned blue after eating the resident mandarin fish, then died itself. Carpets do have the worst sting I know of for damsel symbiotic anemones. I keep a separate tank for clown fish and anemones, I'd never mix them with octos!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back