Octavius II arrives

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Octavarium, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Octavarium

Octavarium Wonderpus Registered

Well my octo came today, and I just finished 3 hours of acclimating. It is being named Octavius II, to continue the legacy of hummelinckis reigning supreme. Saltwaterfish.com was nice enough (Kim) to give me pictures of the only different species besides the briaerus they have, and she got an excellent picture showing the orange ocelli, so I said go ahead and ship.

Here are the 2 pictures she sent me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Upon opening the box,styrofom top, and all other wrappings...I was completely horrified. The water was pitch black, it had inked itself to death.
    [​IMG]

Little did I know, it was just something on the plastic itself to block light. My heart jumped back into the pericardial cavity where it belonged.

Here Octavius II is acclimating
    [​IMG]

As of now the lights are off and it is already making a nice den in the LR, I'll have more pictures later when the lights are off.

2. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: Octavius II !

3. gholland

gholland Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

:welcome: Nice one!

4. Keith

Keith Vampyroteuthis Registered

:welcome: continue the Octavius' legacy.

5. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to Octavius II!

Nancy

6. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Fantastic! Great that they sent you a pic and worked with you. I noticed a couple of days ago they started listing their octos as O. briareus instead of Octopus sp.

7. Keith

? i just thought of something. how do you acclimate octos? im used to setting a bag of water with a fish in the tank it till the temp is the same then letting the fish out. all the pictures ive seen of octos acclimating are taken in buckets or styrofoam boxes. am i missin somethin here?

-Keith

8. Animal Mother

It's called the "drip" method. Empty the contents of the bag into a bucket. Use airline tubing to draw water out of the tank into the bucket. Tie a knot in the tubing so you can squeeze it and adjust it so that it's dripping about 2 or 3 drops a second. It slowly introduces your tanks water into the water the creature is already acclimated to so it can acclimate to your tank water without any shock.

Sometimes just acclimating to temperature is fine and in some cases probably better. Most of the time the drip method is the way to go though.

9. Keith

ah. cool. thanks.

10. Octavarium

Yeah she said this was the only different octo they had from the others, all the rest were definitely the "
    carribean reef octopus". So I assume all they have left truly are briaerus.

11. Octavarium

I think the drip method is best when dealing with saltwater fish, because the SG difference that exists can shock them, and just floating a bag wont transfer any salt through, just temp. Its being on the safe side, but for freshwater fish I just float a bag and release as you said.

12. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

The other reason you don't want to float the bag is that in doing so you are contaminating your tank with anything that is on the outside of the bag.

13. Keith

good point esquid. didnt consider that.

14. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

He's very nice looking. I can see the eye spots. Did they give you any idea on species?

15. Octavarium

They didnt, but I know its a hummelincki like my last octo. It's exactly what I was looking for.

16. Animal Mother

I'm quite surprised of the quality of the pictures they sent you. How big he/she?

17. Octavarium

Almost as big as my original Octavius right before death, mantle isnt as big and arms aren't as long (arm to arm fully stretched is probably 10 inches or less). This is unfortunate however, that it is probably in its latter stages in life. But I'll be more than happy to get a good month or more out of it. Today is the second day it took scallops right from a feeding stick. Crawling all over the glass and not afraid to touch my hands out of water. Its amazing how interactive this species is, especially only a few hours after a stressful trip. Here it is right after taking the scallop from the stick.[​IMG]

18. Octavarium

Today was live food ver. 1.0. I saw some live fiddlers when picking up neon tetras for my other tank, and decided to throw one in. It took him a while to notice, but I got a nice shot of him jumping off the glass before he jetted to get it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then he gave a nice close up of what happens to misbehaved crabs before he squished into his den.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very similar to my last hummelincki, he's usually always out during the day and on the glass. He isnt too fond of charging towards my hand or feeding skewer yet, but that may change soon enough. Lebowski was even on the premises today to make sure the operations went smoothly.

[​IMG]

19. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Octavarium,
    You blew it. The first shot was a good candidate for the, Find the Ceph in the Photo game.

Has either Octavius had any initial problems with gauging how tight to stick to the glass? Octane had almost humerous problem with the acrylic for about 2 weeks and I had not seen others mentioning similar acclimation issues.

20. Octavarium

Shoot, forgot about that thread sorry. I'll try and get some sneakier ones. Both seemed to stick on pretty good from the get go, never slip and seem to have good control with moving. I wonder how different acrylic is compared to glass for the suckers? Do you have any videos of Octane's fumblings?