Octavian O.briareus - new to octo keeping

The water is not a problem but the substrate and LR are. It looks like loneracer has that well covered though. Now to come up with a tank that can be set up for a couple of weeks with the transferred medium before the octo out grows his current home.

There is one other possiblility that looks very much like a briareus in many colorations. Unfortunately, my photos of Beldar are not on the high quality side and don't show some of her wonderful patterning. We have seen several animals in the Macropus complex this last year so also take a look at Bel's thread. In person it is fairly easy to distinguish the Macropus group from the briareus but not so easy in photos since both will sparkle green and have similar color variations but one thing of note is that the Macropus group all seem to have longer, thicker front arms and much smaller, frailer back arms. The difference is significant and not a maybe. Don't confuse this with new growth though. Truncated arms that are regenerating are usually significantly fatter at the source and then significantly thinner starting at the point of regrowth.

Photos would be most useful. If you can't add them, please send me an email with attachments (click on my avitar for the option to send me an email, not a PM) and I will upload them here.

o that would be a major help thank you very much as of now i only have a pic of its bottom side while hes on the front glass trying to play with my friend he is very social....i dont think she could get rid of him now shes in love lol ... im emailing it to you now from my cell phone if thats ok?

Haa, I should learn to assume everyone has a few tanks I think :biggrin2: I guess I do too, just not of the saltwater variety. I just asked my future housemate if a house full of wriggling scuttling things... "As long as I don't have to touch the darn crabs" was pretty accepting in my eyes :wink: She actually seemed to be getting into the idea of raising my octobabies... Good luck finding a bigger tank, I was surprised that a 50gal was cheaper than I expected when I done a bit of research. There were some really cheap second hand ones online but they were all second-third-fourth hand with pretty sketchy ideas of what treatments had been used in them so I'm passing :smile: Maybe you'd have more luck there?

Haa, I should learn to assume everyone has a few tanks
It is actually so common that there is a well known acronym for the disease, MTS (MultiTank Syndrome). Your future housemate sounds like my son. We had all kinds of stories on how he managed not to touch the crabs and still feed them to the octos when we were away on vacation.

Bar the crabs she's incredibly un-squeamish, I'm sure I'll bring her around! After all, she lives a lot closer to the coast than I do!
I go back to my home in Norwich in a couple of days and she's coming to visit me there so I'm taking her to the coast just to go to the sealife centre and see the octo they have there :biggrin2: It's the first time I'm visiting him/her with any real prior knowledge of octos, I know he isn't fond of photos but I'm hoping to get a few sketches while I'm there. (And I've already clawed a promise of being taken to the national aquarium in Plymouth when I visit her... she'll be as addicted as me in no time :lol:)

By the loneracer (Don't know your name, sorry :oops:) whilst calling around a few of my LFS and the custom aquarium builders yesterday a few of them mentioned they had second hand tanks. They were much clearer on what had been kept in the tank and what treatments had been used, some of them were honestly still unsuitable but it could be another place to check if the budget is an issue. It isn't easy dealing with parents wishes against your own or your friends even when they do know best :lol:

well my name is sean i feel like you guys are close enough frieends to know my name lol..... im at her house tonight to start a megalithic build of moddifying her bed to be able to hide the bigger tank under it just shhh dont tell her mom lol....she works at a petsmart so she can get a tank pretty cheap but in order to hid the tank better im going to build her an acrylic tank ...assuming the bed mod works lol ... on a note back to my mystery 8 legged friend.... he has made his den and is just hanging out in it ... day 1 in the tank and he was playing with my hand and clinging to the glass to play more but now hes starting to hide more but he may just be getting his house set ...hes been digging and moving small rocks around.

I uploaded the photos to your first entry. The first one shown (I believe the second one taken) pretty well ID's it as a briareus. Tank size for any duration is a major concern so I hope you can work something out for it.

I messed with the photos a bit (not one of my better skills) and looking at the second picture, there is a suggestion of an enlarged sucker and a curled up arm. If the curled arm is the third to the right (clockwise) then the two possible observations would indicate a male. However, both are only suggestive because of the phone photo clarity as well as the angle of the photos.

The news that he is not as social and is not hanging on the wall is actually good news. Briareus are naturally shy and hanging out on the wall in the daytime with arms curly cue suggests stress. Making a den and taking shelter suggest it is becoming more comfortable. Over time these guys become social (some more than others).

:smile: Glad to hear you're managing to work things out with him, I hope it turns out well. My black moor goldfish turned 4 before anyone realised I had him- That being said he's a LITTLE easier to care for :wink:

And D, I'm planning in about a week or so (Paypal issues. Technology is not my friend.) to join the site if nothing else then to support it although honestly, starting a blog hadn't even occured to me. I'm not sure it would be of much interest :smile:

loneracer05;147872 said:
ok guess well hafta work out a new tank situation...how long do we have do you think? and what should his water temp. be at?

For a general, safe temp year round, 75 works for most Caribbean animals. Fortunately, any where from 72 F to 78 F is acceptable. CaptFish is experimenting with keeping the water temp close to the seasonal environment. Many think keeping the temp to the lower end will extend the life but that the animal will be far less active.

Be sure to post pictures of your under the bed creation :wink:, even if you have to send them to me for posting.

It would be curious to work through the problems you are having posting to see if you missed a step. The new photo upload is nice and I like it but confusing. The number of buttons you have to push is one too many and not intuitive. The select button should have popped up a window provided by your browser/operating system, regardless of which browser and op sys you are using. I am working on some software to provide similar functionality so I would be personally interested to know if there is an issue with using a Linux backend. Which browser do you use? If you see me on-line one evening, send a PM and we can walk through it.

i should be able to get on tues wed thurs nites this week till then im bound by my cell so no uploading ect.

how long till this guy needs to be upgraded do you think? talk her mom into another tank is proving extremely difficult lol

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back