Octavian O.briareus - new to octo keeping

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by loneracer05, Dec 29, 2009.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Blue Ring Registered

well first let me say hello everyone :) i started looking into cephalopods awhile ago and doing research i know a good amount about keeping them. my friend wanted one since she started keeping saltwater fish but none were available and i knew they were hard to keep.

present day we found a supposed dwarf octopus in a lfs and they were going to kill it because no one wanted him and it was getting expensive to feed it :( so we decided to take him under our wing and put it in a 29 gal biocube. i just finished escapeproofing the tank this after noon using 1/16 in mesh and some new abs plastic sheeting. im 99% confidant he cannot get out.

the lfs said he does not require a heater in his tank nor a chiller bc the room is kept at 70* +- .5* the tank is staying stable at 68*.

i only have afew questions now about keeping it

1) how can i ID him to know for sure about his temp requirements? i can provide a pic later this week i know some1 can help online but are there things i can look for to determine species?

2) how big of a bit of food is safe for him to eat i know he can consume atleast 1 full silver side but is that enough? what about crabs how big is safe?(declawed ofcoarse)

3) lighting for him is one standard 65w actinic power compact good?

i think thats it thanks alot guys i look foward to making new friends here :) oh yeah he is aprox 22 inches armtip to armtip and i have seen him color morph to whites browns reds blues and greens if that help ID

sorry i posted this in the wrong section before

Attached Files:

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

22" for any measurement is NOT a dwarf. Let's hope I am wrong on my first guess from your description or he will outgrow the 29 in less than a month. Does it say out during the day? Do you see green reflective sparkles on a white background, particularly when a light is direcly shining on it? Is there a lot of webbing all the way down the arms? Does it have a pronounced circle below each eye (some but not all of the time)? Do the arms appear to have stripes or bands (short way)?

Click on the List of our Octopuses 2009 in the Journals and Photos forum and use the links provided to see photos of identified animals to see which one is most representitive of this little guy.

Most octos can easily eat anything half the size of their mantle. Any live crab is good. Disabling the claws (amputating the upper claw) give more food value than removing them.

68F is likely too cold but lets get an ID. 72-75 is safe for most octos but any of the normal can take a short term bit of cool more easily than over warm.

3. loneracer05

his mantle is 3-4 inches if memory serves. he is at my friends so im not 100%...he is new to the tank so im not to sure about his day night schedule just yet ...his blue green color is like irredesant (sp) it some times comes on while he is redish brown clay color or white and mainly on his head and mantle a few specs on his arms. i dont think it had a pronounced circle below each eye and no stripes on the arms she is sending me a pic when he comes out from her phone ( not very good but the best it can be in the mean time till i cant get one on my phone

4. loneracer05

well im lookingg and im pretty sure it is not a W.photogenicus lol..... and i dont think its a O.hummelincki but not 100% come to think of it as i make my way down the list hes not looking to much like any of these guys to me but i am very new at cephs. still only about a year into reef keeping but i do alot of research and i know i rushed into this guy but i did not have to much choice in the matter :( guess ill hafta wait for pics foor a better id

5. DWhatley

Look at O.briareus - this is most likely from what you have described, unfortunately.

6. loneracer05

it could be but the arm tips dont look the same (could be but im not 100%) his arm tips get very very skinny tward the tips

7. loneracer05

worst case i guess well be setting up a bigger tank someplace lol and giving it anothher go at something smaller lol :)

8. loneracer05

i got a pic of him on the front glass but i cant figure out how to post up pics on here

9. DWhatley

If the arms are regrowing, very skinny ends on a fat arm would be symptomatic but if the arms taper evenly then that is not what you are seeing. Briareus hunt by sticking their arms in every nook and cranny and rarely are caught with their arms at full length. One of my posts shows a video that is entitled Why O. brieareus come to us with missing arms :hmm:

10. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like a O. Briareus. which is too bad because you need a much much larger tank to keep him. maybe someone on here will take him for you.

to post pictures
    1. click the "go advanced" button at the bottom
    2. then scroll down and click the button that says "manage attachments" when you click it a new window will pop up.
    3.then at the top right of that new window click add files,
    4. click select files
    5. and click on the picture(s)
    6. select upload files. - let it upload
    7. click "insert attachment"

Attached Files:

11. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Thank you for giving this octopus a home. I hope you can find some way to keep him - it does sound like O. briareus, which is uausally a lively species and fun to have around. Have a look at the jounals of briareus keepers.

Nancy

12. loneracer05

how big of a tank need if it was o. briareus? mabe we can figure out a way to talk her mom into another bigger tank and we can have 2 octo tanks ;)

13. loneracer05

i got to step 4 and the little window that pops up has no items to select :( could it be because im using linux?

14. SeaCreature

SeaCreature Cuttlefish Registered

Not that I have any personal experience, but skimming over the basic articles I think the tank needs to be minimum 50 gallons. I'm sure someone far certain will chip in though.
    I'm purely speculating here because I'm new, there might be something I'm overlooking, but even if you swapped the 29 gallons of water to the new tank (if that's possible) it would only be 3/5s full right? There wouldn't be any more cycled water? Might be a simple solution to that if I'm right though. :oops:

15. loneracer05

i could take tome rock and water outa my 300 gal with 220 sump reef ...theres plenty to spare outa there :)

16. DWhatley

The water is not a problem but the substrate and LR are. It looks like loneracer has that well covered though. Now to come up with a tank that can be set up for a couple of weeks with the transferred medium before the octo out grows his current home.

There is one other possiblility that looks very much like a briareus in many colorations. Unfortunately, my photos of Beldar are not on the high quality side and don't show some of her wonderful patterning. We have seen several animals in the Macropus complex this last year so also take a look at Bel's thread. In person it is fairly easy to distinguish the Macropus group from the briareus but not so easy in photos since both will sparkle green and have similar color variations but one thing of note is that the Macropus group all seem to have longer, thicker front arms and much smaller, frailer back arms. The difference is significant and not a maybe. Don't confuse this with new growth though. Truncated arms that are regenerating are usually significantly fatter at the source and then significantly thinner starting at the point of regrowth.

Photos would be most useful. If you can't add them, please send me an email with attachments (click on my avitar for the option to send me an email, not a PM) and I will upload them here.

17. loneracer05

o that would be a major help thank you very much as of now i only have a pic of its bottom side while hes on the front glass trying to play with my friend he is very social....i dont think she could get rid of him now shes in love lol ... im emailing it to you now from my cell phone if thats ok?

18. loneracer05

nix the cell phone sending idea lol i just looked at ssending email

19. SeaCreature

SeaCreature Cuttlefish Registered

Haa, I should learn to assume everyone has a few tanks I think :D I guess I do too, just not of the saltwater variety. I just asked my future housemate if a house full of wriggling scuttling things... "As long as I don't have to touch the darn crabs" was pretty accepting in my eyes :wink: She actually seemed to be getting into the idea of raising my octobabies... Good luck finding a bigger tank, I was surprised that a 50gal was cheaper than I expected when I done a bit of research. There were some really cheap second hand ones online but they were all second-third-fourth hand with pretty sketchy ideas of what treatments had been used in them so I'm passing :) Maybe you'd have more luck there?

20. DWhatley

It is actually so common that there is a well known acronym for the disease, MTS (MultiTank Syndrome). Your future housemate sounds like my son. We had all kinds of stories on how he managed not to touch the crabs and still feed them to the octos when we were away on vacation.