Octavia - O. hummelincki

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by DWhatley, Apr 23, 2012.

1. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Coming soon to an aquarium near me :sagrin:

Attached Files:

2. Reef Geek

Reef Geek O. vulgaris Supporter

The elusive ink monster! Sweet!

3. DWhatley

No name yet so I won't post species until she has a name just to let a few non-staffers (or Alex) guess since we have not seen many of these lately and we have a lot of new members.

At capture site

Acclimation

With Crab

In The Tank (after 1 hr 40 min sitting in container tearing apart (but not eating) a thawed crab)

I am a little worried that she may be close to brooding. Within hours of entering the tank she was coming to the front to see us and allowed me to pet her for 3 or more minutes, several times. This is not normal immediate behavior. She looks like Octane and OhTwo and not like Maya or Serendipity so I am crossing my fingers really really hard that she will not brood in the next couple of weeks.

Attached Files:

4. iAlex

iAlex Vampyroteuthis Registered

:lol:

Are there any eye spots?

5. Blaster

Blaster Larval Mass Registered

It sort of looks like my new BIMAC! But i'm just an FNG to keeping OCTO's so not really sure, congrats on the new addition! I do believe mine is female also but not sure, she is friendly too.

6. DWhatley

Blaster, you are close in your observation but off in the guess. This is a Caribbean, warm water animal.

Yes, you have it Alex but this was way too easy for you and is why I explicitly exclude you :sagrin:

Since I had the camera out, she would not come up and play tonight but showed more interest than I expected (they tend to interact the first time and then be timid for about 3 days but she is so fast to interact, I gave it a try anyway). Later I could not find her and was worried since IMO this species does not usually stay hidden a lot (or do a lot of squeezing into small spaces). Ultimately I spotted her as a rock in the front of the tank :oops:. My son (who is color blind so it is even more difficult) could not see her until I approached and caused her to change colors a little.

7. Cuddlycuttlefsh

Cuddlycuttlefsh Vampyroteuthis Registered

Well if it's from Caribbean waters then I'm guessing hummelincki? I still don't see a purple tint to the suckers and all the flesh around it.

8. DWhatley

Cuddlycuttlefish,
    If you click on the thumbnail under the title "with crab" the purple is visible. The telltale eyespot (ocellus) is hard to see in any of the pictures but it is O. hummelincki (or as much as any of them have been as this species has a few mysteries).

9. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

What a beautiful octopus! Nice photo's D!

10. DWhatley

Thanks GPO87 but the best one is not mine :oops:.

She spent the first night on the wall. We see this frequently and I wonder if they wait to see who might own the potential dens before adopting one. Last night she took a den and now she is not coming out (but is eating) so her behavior is closer to normal for a newly tank acclimated animal. Hopefully, she will start coming out within the next two weeks and then not immediately start brooding. We see the brood after two weeks so often with the females of this this species that I can't help but add that to my normal first two weeks of breath holding.

11. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Nice octopus, D!
    Looking forward to many more pics.
    Nancy

12. DWhatley

She is out and shy this AM so maybe more pictures in a week.

13. iAlex

iAlex Vampyroteuthis Registered

Who did you get this one from?

14. DWhatley

Philipp of K&P Aquatics (formerly Sealife Inc.) caught her for me. He even identified her species with his own research :grin:. Philipp is new to the collecting industry but Kara (spouse) has been doing this since she was very young so I had to laugh when Philipp was the first to ID an octo species that he had never seen before. I think this is only the second one he has caught on his own :grin:

I saw Octavia dead center of the cross over tube and wondered if she was going to spend the night there. By the time I got the camera out I was only able to get this not so good shot before she moved. Her interest in the tube, it turns out, was a snail that she was consuming.

She is not as red as the photo implies. I keep a red light on 24/7 for half the tank. Interestingly all octos living in this tank choose the red lit side for dens until they are brooding/senescent then they move to the "dark side" :roll:

Attached Files:

15. DWhatley

Octavia reminds me so much of Octane at the height of his interaction. She has learned when supper should be served, takes anything offered by hand and comes up to the interaction corner almost any time I come into the room. I have been trying to get an interaction video but she has seemed to sense the camera an stopped playing when I turn it on. I guess last night she decided it was no longer a problem because I took tons of video. This one is rather long but shows a lot about how she interacts.

16. DWhatley

Find the ceph answer

Answer to the Find the Ceph thread post for Octavia. Here is a picture taken just a few seconds later:

My attempts to take a photo for the find the Ceph thread are constantly thwarted. The problem is that once she sees me looking at her she changes color (and is usually how I find her when I she is missing right in front of me). I have set the camera up further away and waited or tried to sneak up or hold still for a period of time but she knows when I am there and won't "disappear". Often she comes out to inveistigete.

She no longer comes up for petting and has become somewhat shy (except at dinner time and when I am cleaning the tank and invading her territory). Her den is a large cave now and easily viewed as opposed to her original choice that was up inside a piece of rock. I believe she out grew the first den but am unsure why she has now chosen the night dark side as opposed to the red lit night side. I keep my fingers crossed that it is not because she is about to brood (sadly, this is the scenario I have seen more than once in this tank). Her color and patterning are excellent but her mantle has grown appreciably. She has eaten well from the beginning and I hope it is not another sign of pending egg laying.

Her shyness is not reclusive and, as I mentioned, she will change color when she sees you looking at her tank. If you approach the tank she acknowledges you and if you hang around she will usually come out of her den and go to the wall but she no longer comes over to my hand, in or out of the tank.

Attached Files:

17. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Very beautiful. It always amazes me the way they can change color to whatever is near them. My obsession with them will never go away!!! Great pic Di!!!:smile:

18. DWhatley

She had gone to the dark side! I keep a red light on half the tank (this is the one that is two tanks connected with two 6" tubes) and all the young animals have chosen to den on the side with the red light but move to the "dark side" when they age ... or brood :sad:. She has started to act a lot like Maya and less like Octane as well. Her color and patterning are excellent but Maya's did not deteriorate until after she started brooding. I keep hoping this is not were we are headed but logic is telling me otherwise. One minor consideration is that she out grew her initial den (on the red side) and the Koralia stopped functioning (needed a new, now replaced, motor).

She is still very active and curious and makes sure that you see her if supper is late (she paces the front of the tank). She eats well but that could also be a sign of about to brood. I wish I could get a good video of her color and pattern changes but once I get the camera out she stops morphing :roll: and the only way I could get shots is to scare her.

19. DWhatley

Octavia was almost social today. Her normal day is to be awake early, sleep midday until about 5:00 PM and then go to bed just before lights out at 11:00 (sometimes she will go to bed as early as 10:00). Today we had a house full of family ranging from 2.5 to great grandparents and she skipped her afternoon nap. Octavia stayed curious about all the goings on all day and even moved over to the left side of the tank to watch people. At one point, oldest son decided to put his hand in the tank (he is not an aquarium keeper) and swears she came after him and tried to crawl up his arm. I missed the interaction but I suspect she thought he should have had food. I think he is a bit afraid of octopuses but would never admit it since I have photos of his daugher petting Octane.

She gave me a bit of a scare the other day when she moved a good sized rock up to the front of her den but she kept the opening clear. I do so hate having females as the fear of brooding is always on my mind, especially when they are as active and enjoyable as this one.

20. DWhatley

Octavia is now somewhere between timid and social :grin:. She is not afraid of me (or most anything that goes in her tank) and approaches but does not stay for much petting. If I am retrieving crab shells or cleaning her tank she comes over to my hand and gently touches it as if to stake her territory but she does not aggressively grab.

After Tony mentioned toys, Neal suggested we see if she would play with something so we offered the plastic ice cube (originally a feeding stick for SueNami after he disrupted his Live Rock with the fixed version we were using). She ignored the food but took possession of the ice cube for several days. Unlike the two O. briareus, she did not use it as a float but she did try to bite off the plastic feeding tie.

She has lost interest in it now though so I will have to see if something else takes her fancy. I think I will raid the toy box to see if we have any leggos left but I hoed out that room not long ago.

Attached Files: