[Octopus]: Octane - O. Hummelincki (filosus)

There is at least one Octane photo in our upcoming Ceph Care book. I made a point of including him, along with many of our other octos and cuttles.

Nancy

Nancy;124932 said:
Could you please add something about the size of Octane (mantle length, legs) and how large his tank was. It would be helpful to have it here with your other descriptions.

Nancy

I took an approximate measurement of Octane's mantle a month or two before he died (by laying a tape measure on the glass so it is very much an approximation) and came up with the 7 cm (just under 3 inches) max listed in norman. His arms at rest, however, were not as long as the 30 cm (1 foot) length shown but he could easily stretch an arm to 18". I will make a guess from memory of him on the floor that arm tip to arm tip, unstretched he was 14-16 inches in diameter and that swimming arm lengh was about 2.5 times mantle length or 7.5 inches.

His tank was 24" tall x 30" wide by 12" deep giving a possible volume of 37 gallons and not the 45 we had always understood the tank to hold (I will never NOT measure and convert a tank volume again). It was connected to a 10 gallon sump with LR, canister filter and external skimmer. The tank was too small after 4 months (he was adult when acquired but continued to grow) and I changed water twice weekly to compensate (other than nitrates, it never showed poor water quality but the extra water changes and the carbon canister were necessary). We purchased a 55 gallon aquarium for him but it was not completed and cycled before his untimely death. The height and thickness (24 inches high x 12 inches back to front) were fine but this Octane liked to swim and there was not enough length. I don't know if the lack of tank length contributed to his escape behavior during his last two months.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back