Ocotpus on the loose.

darque

Hatchling
Registered
Hi. I'm just passing through because I couldn't find the info I'm seeking anywhere else. I would appreciate the help.

Some time ago, I saw a program on TV that showed an Octopus escaping from it's tank, and slithering across the floor to a 2nd tank where it found itself a late night snack, and then returned to it's tank. I was absolutely floored when I saw this. I mentioned this to some friends at work, and I swear they think that I've been sniffing to much Methane.

I saw another thread regarding keeping ones Octopus in the tank, so I know that I'm not crazy. Could anyone elaborate, give examples and/or share with us stories about Octopus escaping the tanks (or at least point me to a better thread). We've got access to the internet and I'd love for them to see this.

I'm sure they'll find it just as fascinating as I did.

:welcome: darque,

you've come to the right place!!!! Many assume this to be an urban myth. But it has happened in several aquariums including ours! In our case the octopus also had to know the schedule of night checks as it was always in it's tank by the 10.30 pm check. But the rock lobsters were missing!!! One night the technician checking came in at 10 pm and the octi was caught red armed!!!!

J

Melissa said:
Jean, I love this story.

Melissa

yeah it's great, it was before my time but I know the tech in question and he 's not the type to make up stories, sides we've had others do similar stuff ......BTW the lobsters live on the other side of the aquarium now.....NO WAY the octi can get to them unless they can unlock two doors!!!!

(we did have one that ate all our large (VERY VERY expensive) Jaquinotia Spider Crabs once :x (For those of you who got the Portobello calendar, it was the August Pin Up boy Harry!!!)

J

There are soo many stories out there. I've been researching for my speech and you'll have no idea how many different things octopuses do.

For example, there was this experiment don't with the octopus. John Forsyth created a glass maze where he placed an octopus on one end and a crab on the other. The octopus managed to navigate the maze even though it didn't have visual contact with the food.

Sometime when an octopus is out of its tank and traveling to another tank, it'll get lost or freak out. there have been many cases of dead, dried octopuses on the floor.

There are also stories of octopuses unlatching locks. In attempt to keep their octopus insde their tank, keepers would latch the lid close. If the latch is a sliding bolt and there is enough room for a tentacle to slide through, the octopus is able to slide a bolt open.

Hope this would convince your friends! I have more stories but I have homework. :frown:

-DIH

Happy Halloween!

-edit
I bet the tv show was Nature. That show was what got me interested in this topic.

Wow!!!!

That unlatching doors thing just brings this to a whole new level of amazement!

I've always had a fascination with Octopus (and Squid...thanks to 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea) which is why I watched the above mentioned program. They were also talking about how at the aquarium they were finding dead sharks...turned out that an Octopus was the culprit. Kinda freaky.

Had no idea that people keep these guys as pets. Granted, Octopussy had one, but that was a James Bond movie. Something to think about for the future. I'll just be sure to have a good lid, wouldn't want to find that "sucker" in my bed.

"Honey??? You're feeling a little frisky tonight!!!" :bugout:

Thanks for the info, think I might hang out a little while.

:notworth:

darque said:
Wow!!!!

That unlatching doors thing just brings this to a whole new level of amazement!

Oh yes! Our octopus Harry was also famous for breaking a 1cm thick piece of perspex to get out!!!

We also had one that didn't like the lights and must've accidentally got water in the socket blowing the bulb.......After that we couldn't keep the lights on he just blasted them every time they were turned on........so we released him!

J

Wow so that blasting people with water is true? I read about that in books about octopuses shooting a jet stream at people in annoyance. I must add this to my speech. Thanks!

-DIH :shock:

joel_ang said:
There is a video of an octopus squirting at someone in our video gallery. How did the octo break the perspex?

The perspex was laid across the top of the tank and Harry sucked on to it and flexed it til it broke (he weight around 18 Kg!!!)

We also had one who hated one of our staff (she didn't much like him) so when she was rostered on to clean the tank (which seemed to happen often :twisted: ) she got squirted and chased!! :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

J

There are people who claim that octos can't identify individuals - we supposedly all look alike to them. But your octo seemed to recognize this one person whom he didn't like. I too have seen octo behavior that indicates they can recognize who's in front of their tank (and have definite likes and dislikes!).

Nancy

Nancy said:
There are people who claim that octos can't identify individuals - we supposedly all look alike to them. But your octo seemed to recognize this one person whom he didn't like. I too have seen octo behavior that indicates they can recognize who's in front of their tank (and have definite likes and dislikes!).

Nancy

Well they have good observation skills.............and if they touch presumably they cal tell the different people by "taste"!

J

The many bimacs I have had the pleasure to experience, they all knew when I was trying to show them off! Totally more subdued behaviors than when me or my daughtor were at the tank! I totally believe they can recognize faces! My one, I believe it was Inklet, was fascinated by my oldest son, who had a shaven head!!! :mrgreen:

Would love to see your speech!!!

Carol

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back