Ocho - O. Hummelincki

The only hummelincki we have measurements for (that I know of) are the postmortem numbers for OhToo but size is neither reliable nor consistent. Serendipity was tiny and I was sooo happy to have a baby then she went almost directly into brooding ... Octane and OhToo were roughly the same size (much, much larger and male) in the end but Octane died prematurely and would likely have lived more weeks to possibly a month (they continue to grow until they stop eating - SueNami seems to be loosing mass after not eating for a week but is flabby rather than smaller so I would say firmness of body and arms may be something to observe). You might measure your net and then try to calculate mantle and arm length from your initial pictures (see the ones I did for Beldar). It is not very accurate but will be closer than guessing.

I keep experimenting with fiddler food. My current best choice is pieces of dried seaweed because it does not foul the tank as badly as dried or meaty foods. Oddly, they don't eat very much.

Thanks for advice. I will try to get a rough estimate.

Could I get away with keeping my fiddlers in my refugium or do they have to be in separate tank?

Videos are now up on photobucket.

Fiddlers breath air so they need something to climb on to be able to get out of the water. Stacking anything in the center of the fuge should would do (they will climb out if it is too near the edge - sometimes we find them wandering ... :hmm:). They go between salt and brackish water and I keep them in a half and half mix but I have kept them just in my tanks and they manage to survive at least as long as the ones in their own low salt environment (the back walls have enough growth for them to climb to the surface when they need to).

I saw the one video but will revisit for to see what I have missed :biggrin2:

Its a 120 gallon with 100-150lbs live rock. There is nothing else in the tank except for snails and hermits. I am thinking about adding some starfish. For filtration I have a large custom built refugium, uv sterilizer, phos reactor, filter socks, macroalgae, mangrove trees, aqua-c ev180 skimmer, and a marineland 360c canister filter that Im in the process of adding.

is it normal for him to have all his tenticles tucked in when hes up against the glass? Also the way he moves around seems to be very awkward and clumsy. Is this normal for this species?

Yes that is about on par for the two that I have had, they are very 'awkward' to say the least! Glad you got one they are great animals...I have a very needy older one now and absolutely love him!

Bill

mofitn357;142662 said:
is it normal for him to have all his tenticles tucked in when hes up against the glass? Also the way he moves around seems to be very awkward and clumsy. Is this normal for this species?

Do you have an acrylic or glass tank? I have seen both my hummelinckis have difficulty for about a month navigating the acrylic but am not sure if glass gives them the same problem. My macropus complex octo had similar issues but for less time.

I have a glass tank. He seems to have trouble with sticking to the glass. He hasn't been moving around much the last couple days except for to eat when I drop a fiddler in. He definitely loves them.

We have seen different appetities in our two hummelinckis. The first would eat a whole medium shrimp (approx 3" curled, without head) 6 days a week. The second, of equal size ate half that much and our current briareus ate about the same as the second hummelincki. Roy, has mentioned that he feels the unusuall age success with his 3 year old bimac is feeding less or possibly less often. Also, as they age, their appetite should deminish as their growth rate slows.

I would offer a second crab after he finished the first (waiting maybe an hour) and see if he eats it. If he does not enthusiastically consume it, the one a day should be good.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back