Ocenaographic institute of Paris : public meeting and library

Damien

O. vulgaris
Registered
let me show you the oceanographic institute of Paris ( part of Albert the First fondation that include monaco museum too, another post from Ob has describing this part) http://www.oceano.org/io/index.php?lang=fr

last Wenesday,I went to a meeting : the subject was hydrothermal wents and cold seeps ecosystems.

The Professor Aline Fiala-Médioni presented to us hydrothermal wents and cold seeps ecosystems, with an discovers history of this ecosystems ( with US Alvin and French Nautile DSV's)

Aline Fiala-Médioni , professor at the university Paris 6 and the former deputy director of the oceanological Observatory of Banyuls-sur-Mer, is an marine ecopsychologist , she studied first of all the littoral rocky substrata. She was then interested in the filtreurs bodies to specialize, since 1982, on the study of the symbiotic models of the deep zones of hydrothermal wents and cold seeps. She participated in twenty oceanographic campaigns with dive in submarine up to 6000 meters

She is specialized on Benthic production chimiosynthetic based : bacteria, molluscs models is a former member of Banyuls sur Mer obeservatory and IFREMER.

The meeting was particulary axed on a Popularization aspect, most of the persons were only Greenhorns or amators.Despite of this fact few students and oceanographs were here. This meeting was interesting.

I did'nt learn a lot more that i knew but it was interesting to meet and listen one of the scientists involved in this sutdies since the 80's. ( damned ! it was almost 30 years ago !)

It was also an Opportunity to visit a part of the institute and particulary the big Amphitheatre of this institute, dedicaced on the "Albert the 1st" campaigns between 1875 and 1915.

let me show you somes pictures ( poor quality but I didn't have my camera but only my mobile phone camera .. )

At first : the institute from outside, notice the octopus on the front of the entry

Attachments

• conv_304082.jpg
    conv_304082.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 110
  • conv_304081.jpg
    conv_304081.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 123
but the "amphitheatre" is clearly the most impressive thing inside :

Attachments

• conv_295600.jpg
    conv_295600.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 112
  • conv_295599.jpg
    conv_295599.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 118
  • conv_295598.jpg
    conv_295598.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 112
I love the octopus over the doorway.

Funny you should go to see a public speaker about the vents right now as I just finished The Octopus's Garden, a nonscientific book written in 1996 by one of the Alvin pilots (Cindy Lee Van Dover) about venturing to the vents with Alvin.

How new is the Amphitheatre?

the big Amphitheatre has some modern device but the room himself is obviously as old as the institute.
I have few informations about that. 150 to 500 persons capacity.

the fondation was created in 1906, Paris institute was opened in 1911 ( one year after the monaco museum inauguration in 1910)

http://www.oceano.org/io/spip.php?article194

there is also a smaller Amphitheatre for 60 persons.

here is the map : http://www.oceano.org/io/spip.php?article199
and here another picture of the big amphitheatre : http://www.oceano.org/io/IMG/jpg/grdamphi.jpg

The institute amphitheatre has a "cthulhu like "atmosphere, typical of the beginning of the XX's century.

I will take pictures with my reflex camera ( if the institute authorize me), it will be better ...

What a wonderful place. Nothing wrong with modern archtecture, but ai just love those grand old buildings, with all the excess. and ornamentation that comes with them.

I was wonder about the construction date because it is so rare to see anything ornate built in the last century but it looks very new from the photos as far as the condition of the painting and color in the ceiling tiles etc.. Our Fox Theater (1920 Atlant, GA USA) is the last thing that even comes close - by US standards that don't approach European - and it was almost torn down. It took a grassroots drive to save and restore it.

In France and especialy Paris, we take care of historical buildings ( and we 've got a mass of) . In addition the fondation and universities provide founds to keep this building in good condition. The external appearance of the building suggest regular and recent cleanings.

But in France side effects of laws are difficulties to maintain such buildings and modernize them at same time.
French laws are restrictive by nature and in this particulary case you must use national architects. I will ask for the institute actual status.

For example you cannot build anything ( including business towers for examples) at historical buildings proximity. And the costs are really difficult to manage.

Near Versailles you cannot build big buildings you could see from the versailles castle's gardens.

Very restrictive, true, but one reason why so many people love to visit France. The cities and towns have character, they don't sacrifice aesthetics at the altar of modernity and functionality. In much of this country you could be in any big city....they all look alike. Big blocks of big blocks. It's too bad, and there are some exceptions, but in general, that's the way it is.

Well, dwhatley if you want to see a big theatre , in Paris we have this one ^_^ :

misterce.com

english langage wiki :
Grand Rex - Wikipedia

sometimes i have the feeling to live in a giant amusement park .. with numerous tourists ( europeans ,and particulary asians or americans).

Lions are not the only one creature to be tracked in safaris ...frogs too ^_^

For your information,There will be a meeting at Paris oceanographic Institute on December 2.

The recent evolution of the seaweeds cover algale on the Armorican coast,
by Nadège Rossi, Center of study and valuation of seaweeds ( CEVA), Pleubian France.

Cephs are not concerned in this, but if I have time i will certainly go and try to make pictures of institute with a decent camera.

The next after meeting will talk about biodiversity "Towards a new governance of the biodiversity in open sea"
Albert 2 ( Descendant opf Albert the First) has recently created his own fondation in continuity of his ancestor ( and linked to the existant fondation).
This fondation is axed on sea and biodiversity thematic.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back