• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Occy a Plenty

Kharn

O. vulgaris
Registered
Due to the nature of Octopus being so abundant down under they are often on the 'serving plate' of diversity for my Stomatopods, I know it might sound a bit macabre in nature but the diversity of the Ceph's nutritional value along with the interaction that goes into actually bringing one down...

One of them is a Blue Lined / Blue Ringed Octopus and the other I think is a Vulgaris.

M9Kk5C7.jpg

PcLHVn5.jpg

yBzNbHj.jpg

FvXjLVp.jpg

DDANJhN.jpg

y78R4n7.jpg

VBBHsts.jpg

tWo34WH.jpg

9GeUj9p.jpg

Still awaiting my large occy tank to be built for a much larger then these above, individual. :biggrin2:

Not vulgaris (arm to body ratio out of proportion and mantle too narrow). Probably Abdopus of some kind, aculeatus a likely possibility.

However, we keep octos as pets so feeding them live to another captive animal is sensitive enough for me to recommend keeping those posts to a mantis forum. We do feed and video/photograph feeding live shrimp and crabs to cuttlefish so it is not so much the live feeding as it is what is being fed that is not appropriate for a forum about caring for the target animals.

I totally agree with you DWhatley and its because of that respect that I have kept all of "that" stuff off this forum, I can see how the last image would be "pushing the envelope" but rest assured I will never go further or beyond, it is NOT the place.

Having said that I really do love Cephalopods just like Stomatopods so there is no hate involved with feeding one to the other or vice versa.

With all that said I must admit that the interaction between Cephalopod & Stomatopod is one of the most interesting things I have ever seen the only other thing that comes to my mind is a Stomatopod meeting another Stomatopod.

For example one of the things that has left me scratching my head to this day even though it happened a couple of years ago...

Was my giant spearer attempting to impale a live squid...I had never seen anything like it, the spearer was swinging in the COMPLETE opposite direction that the squid was actually in...as if the squid was using its color changing to throw off the Stomatopod even though Stomatopods are famous for their powerful eye sight....

I've still got the footage and every time I look at it I scratch my head, it has never happened with any other live offered item.

There are some recent articles about mantis vision that suggest their eyesight is not as robust as once thought (particularly with color). Here is an article Ed Yong wrote in 2008 covering their amazing eyes. Here is his 2014 article review of new findings showing that their ability to discern color shades of light is less than our own. Clarity of vision is not discussed in either paper.

Squid and octopuses are also "known" for their vision but I have observed an apparent farsightedness in Octopus briareus ("can't see his nose in front of his face" kind of blindness) and a recent study had detected an interesting focus point that shows much of the field of vision is blurred in at least some squid. The bobbing we see is a triangulation method (the study is on squid but we see octopuses perform the same head bobbing) of putting an object in the path of the narrow focus to determine distance.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back