• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Obligatory Cuttlefish Food Thread

ekocak

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
So my eggs are arriving on Saturday morning from BlueZoo, and I want to have everything ready. My tank has been sitting for almost 4 months, and there are bazillions of amphipods and some kind of little fairy shrimp in there. My hope was to (at least until I run out of the pod population in my 40 breeder) use the pods as starter food. However, I'm now thinking I may need to source more foods just in case. Can I have some recommendations? I've been combing through the archives, and people seem to like Reed mariculture, but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I ordered 5 eggs as an insurance policy, although I know some locals who are interested if they all hatch and survive so based on 5, I am trying to figure out the appropriate number of mysids I should order. Thoughts on that? I see they are...hehe...not cheap. My LFS also sells Tigger pods, so I have ready access to those in a pinch, also.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
The biggest issue with the mysis is keeping them alive (Paul Sachs also sells them ) which will impact your quantity ordered. I have tried several ways to keep them without success until I used my bio-orb (basically a ball shaped container) with a very mild airflow (used a tubular air aerator lining the bottom) a couple of pieces of seasoned LR and fed them frozen daphnia (the daphnia may be the most important) twice a day. I can't tell which of the changes I made resolved the problem but I kept several alive for over 3 weeks where everything else I tried resulted in 100% mortality in a couple of days.

Members online