• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

O. Vulgaris = how big do I need to go?

Jakxx

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Hey everyone.

I have been more or less lurking Tonmo.com for the past four years, absorbing information. Now things are starting to get serious on my end as I am laying out my plans to get a Octo tank setup.

It seems that with some luck I managed to find someone who runs a small speciality shop for marine and freshwater livestock and he told me he will probably be able to get his hands on an Octopus for me. Even though he asked me what species I'd like to prefer he said that he most likely will be able to get either an Hapalochlaena maculosa (blue ring, I believe) or an O. Vulgaris.

Since I hold my life and health dear there is no way I'lll be getting a blue ring, so that leaves me with a limited choice of course.

Here's my question:

How big do I actually have to go in oder to keep a rather large species like the vulgaris properly? 120g? 150g? Bigger?

I surely don't want to cram the poor thing into a too small tank however my possibilites seem a bit limited through my landlord and the reason that I'm on the 4th floor in an older house.
I'll probably have to get the blueprints in order to see if my floor will be able to support such a large tank. I fear that 150g will be the absolute max I can go without the risk of ripping a huge hole in my floor :sink:

If that's definately too small for an o. vulgaris then I'll have to see if I might be able to get my hands on a smaller species.

Dang you guys and gals in the states should feel so lucky.. It's near impossible to get an Octopus here in germany... if you don't want it cooked, chopped or deep frozen that is :mad:

G'day

I am also in the process of getting an octopus, most likely a larger species (like vugaris). I've been quoted from members on here that you would need a tank from 150Gals to 200Gals (at least) for a Vulgaris, the Vulgaris is also an escape artists from what I've heard (more so than other species) so a secure tank will go a long way with one.

You would not need such a Large tank for any of the Blue Ring species as they do not get as large but, there is that chance of getting bitten (if you think you'll give it the chance?). I am not all to affillitated with German species availability, you may have noticed I live in Australia so the species availability to me may be a bit broader.

Cheers

I am definately NOT going to get a Blue Ring, no matter what :smile:

I've been talking to someone who is importing all kinds of species for sellers and he said that he is willing to make an exception for me. I'll be getting a list of available species, however he said that he is not importing from California and alike, so a Bimac probably won't be an option for me.

The only thing that basically keeps me from getting a large tank is that I yet do not know how much my floor will be able to handle... I hope my landlord can help me there *crosses fingers that he doesn't say "no"*

Why oh why do i always have to move under the roof...

It shouldn't be hard to get a smallish octo such as aculeatus in Germany - I have seen two within a week come into the main UK wholesaler (TMC) this month - anyone shipping livestock from Indonesia should be able to order "reef octos" or "commons".

Commons are almost always labelled as Vulgaris over here but I havent seen a vulgaris in the UK this year.

Whatever we can get you should be able to get in the EU too.

I've decided to hire a structural engineer to check up on my house how much my floor will be able to support. Aiming for the biggest tank possible, so maybe there is still hope.

Even if I don't manage to get a big enough tank for a o. vulgaris it surely won't hurt a smaller species to have more room :smile:

Next wednesday, the 27th (my birthday, wooho :party:) will be the big day. I hired a structural analyst who will check out my floor.
I've gotten the blueprints of my house and it turns out that it was built in 1900 :old: So it's about 99.9% sure that the floor is constructed out of wooden beams. I'm crossing my finger that the beams will have a sufficient thickness to at least support a 160g tank, maybe, just maybe even a bit bigger.

Finally after 5 years of waiting and "going to do it..." something is happening...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back