O. mercatoris setup and filtration plus egg rearing

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by kingsnar, Sep 14, 2006.

1. kingsnar

kingsnar O. bimaculoides Registered

Is 29 gallons two small for O. mercatoris? Or could I even decrease the gallonage? From what I have read a wet/dry filter is reccomended for large octo species, but are these neccessary for the dwarf species? Would a good canister filter plus LR be enough filtration? How many inches of sand should I have for a dwarf octo? Would fiddler crabs be too large for an adult?

How do you go about rasing the eggs? What equiptment and set-up should be provided?

2. Brock Fluharty

Brock Fluharty Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Since O. mercatoris are dwarfs, I would assume that the babies are larvae, and extremely difficult to rear. I think 29 gallons is sufficient.

3. kingsnar

I was reading that their eggs are easy to rear as the eggs are large, its o. joubini eggs that are impossible to rear. I could be wrong though.

4. Brock Fluharty

I believe that it is not just O. joubini. I think that it's all dwarf octos...

5. kingsnar

hmmmm, gotta google it then.

6. Brock Fluharty

Sorry, it appears that O. mercatoris are large egg species. Most dwarfs have small eggs though. I am looking for an O. mercatoris as well, for my 20 gallon.

7. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

Pygmy and dwarf species can be either large or small egged and for many of them we don't have any information.

O. mercatoris, or at least what is being called O. mercatoris coming out of the Gulf, is a large egged species that has non-planktonic hatchlings that are fairly easy to rear provided that you have live food and can isolate them to avoid cannibalism. The animals that come from Tampa Bay and the Florida panhandle breed seasonally. You will generally only find sexually mature females in the early spring.

We keep adult O. mercatoris in small tanks with canister filters and as long as you watch the water quality and do partial water changes, they do quite well. A 10-12 gal system seems adequate.

Roy

8. DrBatty

DrBatty GPO Supporter

the size of the tank sounds good.

I could be wrong about O. Mercatoris [can't say I know much about them], but I've always thought that all species of octopi are cannibalistic. If you were planning on keeping two in the same tank, I'd think there was a possiblity of one eating the other, especially in small quarters....Just y opinion, someone else, feel free to chime in!

9. Indiana OCHO

Indiana OCHO Blue Ring Registered

What about PH and such for O mercatoris? Does it require different conditions than say a bimac? Temperature?

10. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Yes, mercatoris requires a different temperature - bimacs are not from tropical waters and require a cooler water temperature. We advise not above the lower seventies for bimacs, but they live longer in even cooler temperatures, in the 60's. You can keep a mercatoris at 78 degrees - you may need a heater, but no expensive chiller.

Also, mercatoris are nocturnal, so you might want some red LED "moonlights".

The pH would be the same - natural seawater is 8.2.

Nancy

11. Danthemarineman

Danthemarineman O. bimaculoides Registered

29 gallons will be fine. I have mine in a 20 gallon. You dont have to have a wet dry. I use the filters that hang on the back of the tank. They do fine. However, a wet dry will always be better. I have a lot of dawrfs for sale. Contact me.
    Thanks
    Dan

12. Indiana OCHO

Indiana OCHO Blue Ring Registered

Thanks Nancy. The water is about 74. I have a heater but hadn't planned on using it. Is cooler better or should I bring it up.

Kathy

13. Danthemarineman

Danthemarineman O. bimaculoides Registered

Leave it at 74.