• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

O. joubini - CB and Mates

Bimacs would be ideal, but beggars can't be choosers. This is the season for bimac eggs, though.

Thanks, and keep questions coming. I don't visit the forums often enough, but I enjoy helping people with my experience.

Rocking, Jimbo (cephjedi)

hi jimbo...
its jim at octopets.com but his prices for eggs are a bit steep unless you can crack a deal with him
:smile:

There is a local ceph-hobbyist here in Minnesota who successfully bred and reared O. Joubini. He also attempted to mate Sephia Officanilus (European cuttlefish), but to no avail. Just an FYI.

Nah.

I'd bet a kidney, a lung and 2/3 of my pancreas that it wasn't Joubini.
Joubini is a small egged octopus, and nobody has reared it. Mercs have large eggs, and are rearable. Send your breeder friend to the post I listed above to tell the difference between Mercatoris and Joubini. Many people, scientists included, have claimed to rear Joubini when it was actually Mercatoris they were working with.

Whoever figures out how to reliably rear a small egged octopus (read: vulgaris) in sizeable batches stands to make a lot of money in the seafood world.

Rocking, Jimbo

Jedi,

Are we starting an organ donor list? :lol:

I have to agree with you, but am very interested even if it mecatoris. A captive breeding program for them I feel would be greatly beneficial.

I'll donate those organs if I'm wrong :biggrin2:

For the effort of rearing such a small and short lived cephalopod, I'd rather see the attention going toward culturing sepiolids. As I stated before, Mercs are cute, but they're very shy and escape artists. Bimacs are already established breeders in the professional and hobbyist world, and bimacs are by far the best octopus pets. Academically, many of the methods used to culture bimacs translate well to mercs. It's just there's little demand when bimacs make such great pets.

Euprymna scolopes, the Hawaiian bobtail squid, is a small sepiolid that I think the ceph community would embrace. For all the furor over trying to get cuttlefish, sepiolids are "cuttlefish lite" and much more manageable due to their small size. The NRCC breeds them, and I remember seeing some posts somewhere in TONMO that boasted a hobby/student breeding project. I'll try to find it.

still rocking, Jimbo

I'm just passing on what he told me last night on a local forum after I mentioned that I had ordered a bimac. Here it is:

As the self proclaimed resident TCMAS cephlapod expert all I can say is WAHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! What species is it? I have had both Bi-macs - the loides and latus as well as several Vulgarus. I hatched and raised Joibines(mispelled) and attempted to mate Sephia Officanilus( the European Cuttlefish). Any questions or help feel free to come my way. I was thinking on getting another bi-mac but declined since I am keeping my system temperature around 80 F, which is near lethal to a bi-mac. DO NOT ADD COPPER!!!!!!!!!! Small amounts will wipe this ultra-sensitive invert out. I recomend keeping your tank temperature around 73-75 as this will extend their life span. Sorry for the poor spelling (I am balancing my 5 month old girl in the other arm who wants to copy Daddy and punch the little black keys on the big flat board.)

Interesting. Sounds like he's got good ties to cephalopod suppliers. Sepia ain't easy to get in the `states. Good advice on the copper. It pleases me to know that there are ceph-knowlegeable people out there on other chat boards. Good information about our favorite invertebrates is finally getting around.

Not perfect information, though. It still aint Joubini. :wink:

It's not a worry. Not many know about the Joubini/Mercatoris situation.
There was a project in Japan I'd heard about a couple years ago trying to aquaculture Octopus Vulgaris. They had a million dollar lab trying to grow out those pelagic planktonic small-egged larvae. They couldn't do it. Small egged octos are just too delicate to rear in captivity. It HAS to be Mercatoris.

i think that ceph base has an online article about that project.. but it is well hidden in the archieves...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back