[Octopus]: O. hummelincki

iAlex

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Saturday night I picked up my new octopus from a local wholesaler. They told me he came in from the Keys on Thursday night. I didn't have a tank for an octo when they told me they had gotten a few octopus in, but I called them Friday letting them know I made some room. :roll: I took all of the fish out out of the 65g and moved them around into all my other tanks to make room for this guy.

I found my red LED light I used for the baby mercs I had and hooked it up and you can see it in this first picture.
i83U9RI.jpg

Wz4VmBG.jpg

9NQslYA.jpg

Now on to the octo. I'm guessing he is a hummelicki because I see a spot in the fourth picture. He's real tiny. (He escaped from that box in the first few pictures in about a minute, I figured it was worth a shot though...) He came out with lights on tonight so I snapped a few pictues.
htnjINz.jpg

YRCgE4e.jpg

RdKXQ2k.jpg

XbxKMDg.jpg

Za1l4SP.jpg

sqqOc4u.jpg

CLMxC73.jpg

YzT0cON.jpg

8hRjsGn.jpg

Ypm458O.jpg

Qk4QUex.jpg

v4xBS9S.jpg

KHawbK8.jpg

mDBjEJn.jpg

(I left my camera on a trip to North Carolina and have to wait for it to be mailed back, so I only have my phone to take pictures with, I know they aren't great)

I was wondering why your photography focus skills had declined until I saw your forgotten camera note. Nice to see these from FL again (I think Carol has one too).

I know, I hate having to put these pictures up, they aren't up to my quality. :rolleyes2: Hopefully I'll have it by this weekend.
Do you agree with a hummelincki?
He was pretty active last night and I can see him hiding in the rocks, pretty fun octo so far. :cheers:

I can't remember when you guessed wrong :wink:. Definite eye spot in the sixth picture and the veined look is right (unlike Monty, the only other octo with an ocellus we have seen from the Caribbean and I still have no clue what species he was but keep hoping to get another).

If it was female, you might watch for hatchlings but very few have produced them. Hummelincki is a small egg species so the few hatchlings we have seen have not lived long. With the corkscrew arms though, I suspect it may have just died. Strange you don't see the carcass. I did have one that brooded way under the rock and never did see after she died. For a couple of weeks I could see an arm or two by looking under the tank but eventually she just disappeared.

I believed it was a male but I do not know for sure. I never went digging in the tank for a carcass, I figured some of the crabs in there that he didn't eat would take care of him. :hmm:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back