• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

O Hummelincki Care

kpage

Wonderpus
Registered
hello. I was wondering if you guys could give me some basic care info for a hummelincki. I know that we have a bimac care sheet, but we don't seem to have care sheets for other species. I would like to know how long they live, about how big they get, what temp to have the water at ect... Also is there anything special I should know about this particular species before getting one? I am thinking of buying one from reefscavengers.com- has anybody ever had any experience with them? how was the service and octo?

thanks!!

Well as far as reefscavengers goes, I originally received a DOA, Than they reshipped and everything was fine, The only issue now is the age of the octopus, She is fairly old and may not have too long to live. I would answer the rest of the questions, but I'm sure D can do that better than me, She has the most experience with the species. You can check her journals on octane and the other two she has had.

I have been working on collecting journals to add the links to our list of octopuses and think I have all the jounals attached for 2009. This list should help all new TONMOers find first hand information on keeping a specific species of octopus.

Since all hummelincki are wild caught, "how long they live" cannot be answered as we have no way to age them when they arrive. We have not seen any baby hummelincki on TONMO (the one I thought I had, Serendipity, was either an exceptionally small adult female or not hummelincki). For any medium size octopus suitable for a home aquarium, you can pretty much accept 12 - 18 months as a natural life span and 10 - 12 months for the dwarf species.

I've only ever seen one; it was in Bonaire in about a meter of water on a rock near shore. It was active during the day and did an amazing job at blending in - even for an octopus. I could look right at it and lose it. I'd guess at a year life span. Much warmer water than for a bimac - think Caribbean.

I'm curious if you actually get this species when you order it.

Do you remember what the actual water temperature was when you saw the octopus? Many tropical tanks are kept at about 78 degrees and I was curious as to how this compares.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back