O. briareus?

Still waiting read that other post I believe disrupting the environment would cause the octo to take longer to come out. I dose some artopods, squid, n oyster feast n phyto feast daily, as well as there r tiny jap shore crabs I add. I'm going to try hanging a few n see if he comes out. The light is a dim blue light

LOL, I was encouraging NOT disrupting the environment but trying to point to an experience that was similar. At this size they hide most of the time. From our own experience (including Onn) we know they will find and eat Cyclop-eeze and very small pieces of shrimp that we feed the other inhabitants of the tank. Your little guy is too small for fiddlers unless you can find really small specimens.

Blue light may actually be brighter than white light to octopuses. If you light the tank at night, I suggest using ONLY red.

Hi Drsandhu. The one thing that might help is to use a red light instead of blue. Dwhatley has explained this very well to me. the octo sees the blue as even brighter then white light. go to home depot and get a red fluorescent curly bulb and one of those clamp on fixtures. Leave the red on 24/7. Briareus seem to only come out at night when they are young and since they dont see red it tricks them thinking there is no light. This will give you the best chance to see him.

Ok I'll give that a shot...the shore crabs r very tiny, still dosing with arc to, n squid I do believe he is alive...just doing his normal behavior plus the tank has plentiful spots, what about the led moon light lunar I put that on at night is that also to bright

We have only experimented a little with night lights, mostly because we are hobbyists and want to see the octopuses. Red light has been successful where blue has had mixed success. Conjecture on what is known about their eyes and wavelengths suggests that blue may be much brighter than white light to their eyes so a dim blue may be much like daylight where red is not detected.

It is really hard to guide you as I know it is frustrating but you seem to be doing fine. You do need to develop "octopus eyes" as Ceph once put it in an article. But learning to spot them (especially this small because they can easily be literally up inside the rock) is kind of a chicken and egg situation. If you have a red light on the tank and some late night time during the weekend, you can try waiting until say 11:00 (later OK but not sooner) with the lights in the room off for 2 hours. Feed the tank and sit with only the red light on for maybe half an hour and just watch. With Onn, we found she was getting the small pieces of shrimp that we were feeding to the serpent star (in addition to her own food). Mostly, all I can offer is being patient and feeding the tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back