O. Briareus

Hes arrived and BEAUTIFUL!!!

When I opened the bag he/she was sleeping and had the normal blue green coloring. Once (she for the time I guess) realized I was messing with the bag she became redish brown in color. She still hasnt moved nor have I seen her open her eyes. But shes breathing and is being acclimated. Her ph was really low which is no surprise. It will be a long acclimation. I figure at least 3 hours. Wish us luck!

From what I can tell she only has 6 of her arms. Shes checking out the bag and has already told be to back off once by trying to spit water at me lol. I offered her some shrimp and she took it straight away! I am so excited! Keeping fingers crossed.

UGH!!! ok so apparently I had a MASSIVE die off of last night, cause I tested the ammonia and it was through the roof... so I did a LARGE water change only it had little to no effect. So now I have to acclimate her to my 35 gallon tank and pray that its ok for a small time. Either that or leave her there. Ideas?

i would put her with the best water quality....what was the die off? how long have these tanks been running? why the die off?

The tank I was going to put her in has been set up for about a year. The die of is the food I put in there yesterday in anticipation of this octo. It was my stupid mistake that caused it. I probably didnt acclimate them well enough or something (I was kinda in a hurry) with a pta meeting and dinner bedtime blah blah ya know. And now I'm paying for it... in spades. I hope she will be ok. She is so pretty.

The second tank I am putting her in now has only been set up for a few days however everything in it is from my other tanks... nothing new or even new water so it should be ok at least for a short time if I have to move her again.

I got mine from Tom same as you. Right now shes pretty freaked. Its been hours and she still isnt in the tank. I have her finishing acclimation now so hopefully she will be finished in about a half hour to an hour. I am trying to go VERY slow because of all the crude thats gone on. I had already started acclimating her to the other tank when I noticed that something didnt smell right. Then I tested and then freaked out my own self.

Mine had tons of sucker sheds in the bag, looked not so good but is in the tank all seems fine so far. Did you test the water in the new tank? It may still have a soft cycle. Wish I could offer you more help.

I have tested the water and its WAY better then the main tank I was gonna put her in. I went and got enough water to do a few small water changes over the next few days. I normally get my water from the ocean then filter it but I didnt have a chance to go. Its about an hour there and then another hour back. So for now I have ro mixed salt water to use. I plan to do a 5 gallon water change every day for the next week and then see where were at. Does this sound about right to everyone?

Mine is short 1 arm, very common as Tom's are a from crab traps. My last one from Tom had 1 arm severed also. It grew back very quickly appx. 1" a month I believe. Nothing to worry about. It sounds as if you are doing the same thing I'd do if I were in your position. I would monitor that tank very closely until you can get your main tank back into shape. Are you also performing water changes on your main tank? The sooner you can get him in there the better. When you get the amonia to 0 that is.

I did an 80% water change already and then ran out of water. I will be getting more water tomorrow to do another 80%. And so on until the ammonia is at zero. Shes in the tank now. She isnt out of the bag yet but can go at any time if she wishes. I really wish she had been able to move in right away, she looked so healthy. Man this sucks. Now onto weeks of waiting to see if she will make it and then moving her UGH! I am so angry with myself for putting the food in there the way that I did. Do you think I should at least wait a month to move her? I worry that I will cause even more stress and make an even bigger disaster. I'm just not sure if I should move her say in a week when the water will mostlikely be better or if I should wait longer to make sure shes calmed a bit. Your thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back