O.Briareus

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Octoman=^_^=, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Octoman=^_^=

Octoman=^_^= Cuttlefish Registered

Hello. I am new to TONMO as some of you may know. I was just wondering if there is anything special about briareus other than the basic care.:confused:

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

The questions a little too general to second guess what you are looking for but I will give a quick shot at a list:

Briareus:

1. are the largest of the commonly home aquarium kept species and should be housed in a 65+ gallon tank with sump
    2. appear to the be longer lived after entering the tank environment of the warm water species we keep (anecdotally speaking and may have more to do with the limited handling than the octopus species)
    3. are crepuscular and some will train to be active in daylight but daylight activity has been very mixed with individuals
    4. are a large egged species with benthic young so theoretically it may be able to raise a few that have brooded from a WC female but there has been no TONMO success with this
    5. are very likely to be cannibalistic (both same and differening species) as well as aggressive toward tankmates as they grow.
    6. are probably the most attractive, graceful looking octopuses of the ones we keep (eye of the beholder perhaps but in spite of looks, these are not my very favorite).

3. Octoman=^_^=

Octoman=^_^= Cuttlefish Registered

Thank you that actually helps a lot. From pictures I never knew they were the most common pet octopuses I always thought bimacs were.

4. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith Wonderpus Registered

Bimacs are very popular, but sadly they have been hard to come across lately and they require a chiller.

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Briareus are the LARGEST commonly kept not the MOST commonly kept. We have seen a lot more this year but the availability of species varies from year to year.