O. Briareus-round II

I just spoke to my husband who is at work for the umteenth time today. I told him how the octopus is acting and it dosen't look good. He told me if this one dosen't make it, that's it. He thinks I am close to a nervious break down worrying. :roll:
Any way shortly after I hung up, the little one started swimming (I love watching them swim) he'd stop stick to the glass and swim some more. I walked too close and he crawled into the rockwork, whew! I was so concerned. I continue to be cautiously optimistic :hmm:
I hesitate to call Mark back. and tell him..what the heck, he thinks I lost my mind already so what have I got to loose? :roflmao:

I'm hanging in here with you and keeping :fingerscrossed: as there is not much I can add. I am never comfortable until AFTER 2 weeks (I had two mercs to die at 14 days early on in this adventure and 2 hummelincki females to start brooding in the same time-frame). Are we sure this one is O. briareus?

Lmecher;167589 said:
My tank looks small, I know, but it is a 120.
What size tank is yours in?

It is normal for them to be more reclusive when they young. My last briareus was like that. Have you tried to catch him out in the wee hours of the morning? My son was working nights, he get to see Ollie crusing all over the tank when he get home. He'd wake me up so I could see him otherwise I'd never have known.

Oh wow, from the picture it looks way smaller. Your Octopus is also bigger then I thought. Mine is in a 90. I've only seen him out of the rock completely once. I have checked at all hours middle of the night middle of the day, right at lights out, right before lights on ect. Apparently it is normal for them to be more reclusive when they are young. This is my first guy so my only basis is what others have told me on tonmo.

Lmecher;167602 said:
I just spoke to my husband who is at work for the umteenth time today. I told him how the octopus is acting and it dosen't look good. He told me if this one dosen't make it, that's it. He thinks I am close to a nervious break down worrying. :roll:
Any way shortly after I hung up, the little one started swimming (I love watching them swim) he'd stop stick to the glass and swim some more. I walked too close and he crawled into the rockwork, whew! I was so concerned. I continue to be cautiously optimistic :hmm:
I hesitate to call Mark back. and tell him..what the heck, he thinks I lost my mind already so what have I got to loose? :roflmao:

My husband worries about me too... I am a mess for the first few weeks worrying constantly over if they will make it or not. I was so depressed when HP started declining but he wouldnt tell me thats it... he always say well if this one dies we'll get you another one. (He knows how happy they really do make me.) Besides thats a battle he would loose lol. When I was having issues with my first octo from Tom I called my husband and just felt so defeated I asked him to tell me what to do... (like he had a clue lol)

It will work out, and in the mean time...yay you got an octopus!

dwhatley;167605 said:
I'm hanging in here with you and keeping :fingerscrossed: as there is not much I can add. I am never comfortable until AFTER 2 weeks (I had two mercs to die at 14 days early on in this adventure and 2 hummelincki females to start brooding in the same time-frame). Are we sure this one is O. briareus?

From observations it does not seem to be acting like O. briareus. I have not seen a hint of the shimmer but I understand that really means nothing at this point. All we can do it wait and see. I will try to get photos and videos when it makes an appearance. From all the film I shot, what are your thoughts? You know more than I do.

sk252006;167610 said:
My husband worries about me too... I am a mess for the first few weeks worrying constantly over if they will make it or not. I was so depressed when HP started declining but he wouldnt tell me thats it... he always say well if this one dies we'll get you another one. (He knows how happy they really do make me.) Besides thats a battle he would loose lol. When I was having issues with my first octo from Tom I called my husband and just felt so defeated I asked him to tell me what to do... (like he had a clue lol)

It will work out, and in the mean time...yay you got an octopus!

He did say get another but I lost it, and this after loosing Diablo, it was difficult. (a lot of boo-hooing) It's been a long stressful week. :bonk: I keep telling myself it will work out and this one will be fine.
Thanks for yay! :smile:

I am not convinced but I am not the fastest to tell from photos. Number 14 has a familiarity that I won't mention yet. The arms are short and thinner than an unmolested O.briareus but tank life is far easier on them than where they put their arms in the wild. The webbing also looks too thin but if you went by that Cassy would not be Tank's sibbling :biggrin2:. Not only do we have to contend with the ever changing animal but predation in the wild alters proportions. Have you seen colors other than red/brown and white (like any yellow or yellow/brown)?

A familiarity to whom I wonder :sagrin:
I did notice the heavy texturing and horns that I never saw on my O.briareus. Ha ha, I've only had one but you can add your experiences. At times I thought I saw some yellow in his mottled brown display. O. vulgaris (there I dropped the bomb) to me looked more orangish yellow and the siphon almost always looked very yellow.
Oh my god, I just looked back at Diablo's journal, you are right, that photo looks very much like him I got misty eyed. :smile:

I feel like I am promising something that might not happen :hmm:. But also look at Penn's early photos. I still don't know what to make of Monty. His eyespots are not at all the same as the others we call hummelincki nor is his natural coloring but the body shape, arm to mantle ratio and quick tapering of the arms (this was particularly noted in the official description write up I read) are the same as is a previously noted secondary mark that appears much like a false eye. Neal keeps insisting that there is natural cross breeding going on at a rapid pace and I am beginning to think he has a valid thought. Monty is turning out to be an ideal aquarium animal and I so would like to breed them. But finding even one other, let a lone a female, and then to expect large eggs is likely out of the question.

I hate to put this photo on the new guys thread but but I don't have it posted elsewhere that I can find. Mote IDed these as vulgaris but to be honest, I am not sure how pure any of the Caribbean/East Atlantic octo species are. See how they compare:

Attachments

• conv_297460.jpg
    conv_297460.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
D, was this photo originally of 2? If so I think you posted in in Diablo's thread.

Found it, Diablo's journal post #127

Here is what I think (untrained as I may be)
It is difficult to compare the new one because I have not really studied it enough. I can compare Diablo to your photos. Diablo's arms seemed thinner and he had less webbing. I reviewed Diablos journal and he displayed his orange blotches in almost every coloration.
Pen at times resembled Diablo very much. Pens underside was very unlike Diablo's. Diablo was very white and Pen has an unusual (to me) texture.
The new one's underside, arm thickness and webbing looks very much like Diablo 's.

Sk, I have no idea if cross-breeding is viable. It is the unusual traits that we are seeing that makes us wonder if this is going on.

LM, The photo is of one of the animals in the other picture. I took more than one photo :biggrin2: and this one shows the webbing.

Penn's speckled underside looks hummelincki or what we have been calling hummelincki (Monty has never shown the speckles) and I don't think he is the same as el Diablo, at least not all of him :wink:

Though cross breeding would explain Penn's unusual physical characteristics. Nature/God always finds a way, and if any of these one groups of octos has been at risk or say even 2 octos who needed to mate but could only find each other, it would make sense that they might at least attempt. I think I like Neals line of thinking... if nothing else it makes the octos even more interesting... if thats possible lol.

I wonder if there has ever been any studies into cross breeding.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back