O. Briareus-round II

My replacment octopus (from Tomscaribbean.com) arrived at 2:10 PM. The box was double the size and was insulated.
DSCN1695.jpg

I removed some water and did some tests after I got him floating and put in air stone.
temp-58F
salinity-1.034
ammonia-8
Kh-107.4

Just after opening the bag. He is missing a good portion of 3 arms, most visible in 2nd photo. Mantle is appx. 2"
DSCN1697.jpg

DSCN1699.jpg

As a bonus, Tom threw in 3 shrimp. They are rather large the biggest one is over 4 inches.
DSCN1702.jpg

Floating in tank
DSCN1708.jpg

DSCN1700.jpg

He has moved up to the very top of the bag now so I really need to watch him closely.
:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

It looks like there is a new growth tip on at least one of the chopped off arms (the little bud looking thing on arm L2).

I wish I could get bait shrimp like that. I brought some back on my last trip and they survive well if they make it to the aquarium (I still have one alive that I threw in the unoccupied aquarium. they make interesting aquarium animals in their own right and my granddaughter was depressed when she learned the one in with Octane was there as food. If they should die and you note it right away, freeze them. They will still be fresher than what we get in the store.
:fingerscrossed:

They all made it and are now in the tank. :smile:
One jumped ship and I had a heck of a time picking it up. Frisky little suckers!

The octopus is sitting near the top of the bag. I keep checking to see if it is breathing :indiffer: ...it is.
I rechecked the ammonia, it is at 4, making progress. I am at 2 hours. How long is too long for acclimation? I was hoping for 3 hours max but don't want to rush things.

I just took a look and I got the annoyed eye.

By the way, I forgot to mention. I talked with Tom, he told me he keeps all his tanks at (salinity) 1.028. He said he has not checked them in a few weeks but never got back to me with where they are now.

Yes, I always attempt to feed just before release. However, others hold off for a day or two to encourage hunger. If they don't eat, I don't sweat it but often an animal will accept food because it is nerveous, not because it is hungry. I take advantage of this to be sure it has had something to eat, knowing that it is unlikely to eat for the next few days. Now, ask me if there is a benefit :biggrin2: . I am the first to admit that the only KNOWN benefit is my own mental comfort in knowing it has eaten.

When I got mine he was missing arms too. I have no idea if they've grown back or not but it's been about 9 weeks. He was much smaller then yours.

It looks like you are keeping him in a pretty small tank, is this his permanent home or just until he gets bigger? I wish I had started mine in a smaller tank as I may have actually seen him a bit more, but slowly and surely he is starting to poke out of the rock at night.

My tank looks small, I know, but it is a 120.
What size tank is yours in?

It is normal for them to be more reclusive when they young. My last briareus was like that. Have you tried to catch him out in the wee hours of the morning? My son was working nights, he get to see Ollie crusing all over the tank when he get home. He'd wake me up so I could see him otherwise I'd never have known.

I released him an he is still out front and center. I took video (clumbsily) of it. I will upload it now.

The release was not very briareus-like. He couldn't wait ti get out of the container.

Unfortunately there is a "however" since I shot this video, I turned off the light to let settle down. He settled right out in front one the sand next to the glass.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back