O. Briareus - Inguz

Yah, im going to try silversides next. and if those dont work ill try tableshrimp. after that ill prolly be desperate enough to spring for some fiddlers.

A fish diet has been shown to be unfavorable in two studies I found designed to find inexpensive foods for aquaculturing octopuses. I suggest would skipping the silversides (offering on occassion won't hurt, just not as regular diet item) and trying the shrimp.

Lmecher;168239 said:
My O. briareus kept 2 dens also. The back of the tank den we called the "I want to be alone den" and the one in front "it's ok if you see me den".

And yes Lmecher that is pretty much exactly what i noticed Iggy doing. She hung around the front den for a bit while i showed her to a friend and took those pictures but once she got tired of it she moved to her back den where i can not see her at all if she doesnt want me to,.... well... unless i look at the glass bottom from the sump area but thats cheating :biggrin2:

Well I tried both silversides (just to see if i could get her to eat something) and table shrimp. She attacked the silverside when it was moving on the end of the stick, then realized that it was dead and promptly pushed it back out of where she was sitting. Im doing a shrimp count tonight to see if shes been eating those. Still have not actually witnessed eating. Beginning to lean towards fiddlers.

Day 10

Well today was interesting. I attempted to feed Iggy some live shrimp and Iggy attacked the shrimp but then just spat it back out of the den. Admittedly the shrimp was almost dead at that point (had taken damage from how i was presenting to octopus) so im not sure if She would have eaten it if the shrimp had been more lively. Tomorrow I am going to try to feed her a crab and see how that goes. But this is day 10 and I have still not observed eating. :hmm:

Day 15

Well Iggy is still rejecting dead food. She is however also attempting to catch the shrimp that are in there now. I noticed this behavior today. Hopefully she will figure out a way to actually catch one soon.

Day 17

So even after offering several types of Live and Dead food I could never get her to eat. Im not sure how old she (confirmed she now btw) was but I am guessing fairly old. In the end it was most likely a combination of her age, a large amount of stress, and lack of food that caused her to pass. :angelpus: RIP Inguz

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back