o. briareus II ! even smaller then the last one total impulse purchase

Makes me want one in my empty tank! I have never fed them mysis at this size but have suspected they would eat small shrimps from the way they show having eaten Cyclop-eeze. That is quite a mouthfull :biggrin2:

Still going strong a full 10 months after I got him :smile:

IMGP9158.JPG

IMGP9160.JPG

IMGP9180.JPG

IMGP9185.JPG

Here are some new photos taken today during feeding. I gave him a larger sized portion of mysis so it was a little messier then normal. Still it's interesting to watch him capture the little shrimp one at a time after defrosting them.

IMGP9306.JPG

IMGP9308.JPG

IMGP9309.JPG

IMGP9310.JPG

IMGP9313.JPG

IMGP9316.JPG

IMGP9320.JPG

IMGP9323.JPG

IMGP9325.JPG

IMGP9326.JPG

IMGP9330.JPG

IMGP9331.JPG

If all goes well :fingerscrossed: I will start with a new O. briareus tomorrow :biggrin2: I can't believe he is still eating these though as ours wanted larger foods and started rejecting the small stuff at this size (albeit, I believe they all eat Cyclop-eze which is way smaller and fed to the other inhabitants of the tank). I will have to experiment more.

Had he been showing any signs of aging this last week? 11 months in captivity is an as expected full life span but his color looked so crisp last month that I am a little surprised. With mine, I have noticed a stong graying out of the colors, lackluster attitude and some loss of control of the mantle. It happen quickly but there has always been atleast a weeks warning.

Something looked off only 1-2 days before he died. Just a little pale but he was coming out at weird times the week prior such as shortly after eating. One day I even fed him twice which never happened after he stopped growing. One odd thing is there was some bits of substrate dug into his flesh when I removed his corpse from the tank. He died in his den.

It's been a lot of fun keeping octos the last couple of years and dwarf cuttlefish before that but I think I will go a different route for now. Given how short they live and how much longer I plan to live there will be plenty of time for more cephs in the future :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back