• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

O. Briareus babies

Well more bad news. As I was getting ready to walk out the door I couldn't help myself and took another peek at the tank. Another perished. Sadly I think it might be the one I saw earlier who looked good hanging up in the corner. It was only a matter of 45 minutes from when I last looked.

I am hopeful, but not optimistic, that there is one surviving left. I will continue to put a little cyclopeeze in the tank for the next few days in case until I either have confirmation of the death of the final baby or until there are no sightings for some time. It is a pretty small tank with only a couple of places to hide so its not looking good.

Regardless of how this pans out, and I was certainly under no illusions that this was even a good shot, I am glad to have met D and seen her tanks! I would continue on by taking things slower. I will get a refugium up and running on my reef tank so I can raise some live food, which will benefit the reef tank regardless of anything else. Then I will slowly work on gathering the supplies needed to set up a proper ceph tank and then work on sourcing an animal. I would love to get a merc; the little bit I saw of Sleezy at D's put a little hook in my heart.

Sorry to hear it, but hopefully the third is charmed!

I will send Sleazy your compliments. If you want to try dwarfs, as you might have noted, the setup is much simpler. Even if you eventually graduate to the larger animals, keeping a dwarf tank is fun (as you noted, I keep both :wink:).

Sadly it looks as though the last one has also perished. I can at least say I tried. Having done some reading on here, I am wondering if there might have been copper in the small tank (if it was used as a quarantine in its history) that could have impacted them. Startvation could not have been the problem as it was just to short of a period.

They were acclimated slowly, and since the tank is so small I just put the water they came in, plus the water that was added during acclimation, into the tank so there should have been no "shock" experienced in that regard. I do also wonder if the high flow stressed them out too much.

On the off chance the last is still alive, I have added the macroalgae and the few live mysids and pods that I had in a separate tank. I will continue to watch the tank for any signs.

I will continue to read and learn and eventually get a tank set up for a more mature animal.

:frown:

Sorry! :frown: They are so cute, it is truly sad that they are so difficult to raise.

If you set up a tank for any cephs,. you have got to let me know so I can come see it.
I have to say that the little bit I've read on here and the the brief experience I 've had has def. gotten under my skin. I just might have to take the leap myself.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back