O. Briareus babies

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by ayveq, Jun 3, 2010.

1. ayveq

ayveq Pygmy Octopus Registered

Well they are home!

Hello all. My name is Susann and I just brought home 3 O. Briareus babies that I received from D.Whatley.

They made the trip ok and have been acclimated and are in their temporary tank. One of them inked when I was moving them, which surprised me. Though it probably shouldn't given all they just went through. They are currently in a 5 gallon. I am a little concerned that the flow in the tank in a bit high for them, but I wanted to make sure the filtration was good and that there was a lot of airation. There is just enough sand to barely cover the bottom that came from my existing reef tank and a couple of shells and a piece of rock for them to hide in. I do have a lamp on the tank with a red light.

I did notice that when I transferred the sand, three hitchhikers came with it. Two hermit crabs and a nassarius snail. Please let me know if any of these should be a concern or will just be helpful to pick up any uneaten food.

I am excited to embark on this journey and thankful to D for the opportunity. For good or bad, I will share what happens and look forward to the advice I can soak up from all of you.

My first question is when should I first offer food. I am thinking tomorrow morning, as I am up at 5am, but please let me know if I should wait longer.

Susann

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I've been feeding between 1:00 and 3:00 so they should be good and hungry when you get up and should adjust. You might try to keep them in the dark (red light OK) a few hours before you go to bed to see if you can get in two feedings a day.

I would remove the hermits immediately even though they are small (as much as it would be nice to have shrimp picker-uppers but not yet I think). Remember, I have not seen any in the tank with the large one. Even a small one might be able to catch them. Snails are fine. I added your exit photo to the MiniCon thread :wink:

3. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

How old and large are the juveniles? Do you have any pictures. I'm so glad for you, and jealous. As long as the crab and snail are not larger then the octopus, they shouldn't be an issue. More then likely the crab would become food. Not sure if they would eat the snail.

4. ayveq

Thanks D. I will remove the hermits right now. I forgot that you mentioned that.

All the lights in the room are out, with the exception of the red, so I will give it a go before I go get some sleep. Thanks again D for sharing your experiences. It was great meeting you.

5. ayveq

skywindsurfer, they are TINY. no larger than my pinky thumbnail. I tried to get pics, but it was tough. I will try again tomorrow!

6. ayveq

Oh and just a week old!

7. skywindsurfer

Oh, well ya in that case I wouldn't keep any kind of crustacean with them. I wish you the best of luck raising them. I've been looking all over trying to find a gravid female so I could try hatching and raising some babies. I'm so jealous. Anyways good luck again.

8. ayveq

Thanks so much!

9. Lmecher

Lmecher Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

:welcome: to Tonmo and best of luck with Kooah's babies :smile:

10. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: and good luck!

11. kpage

kpage Wonderpus Supporter

:welcome: and good luck, I'm really jealous. I bet you're having a blast!

12. DWhatley

:lol:
    Too much time on the computer!

13. skywindsurfer

lmao! You have a good eye for detail D.

14. ayveq

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Sadly, this morning, I am definitely down one. :angel: Found one alive and kicking hanging out on the glass. Found another sitting in a corner near the bottom. Eye looked clouded over so I gave it a gentle nudge with the pipette, but it just free floated away so I pulled it and its def. gone. The last one is either also deceased or hiding well. Tried target feeding last night and this morning with the ones I could see, but no go. I put a bit of food into the water in hopes that someone would pick it up over night.

Hermits were pulled as soon as D noted that this was a potential problem last night, so I know they are not the source of the death.

Time for some morning tea and a bit more time to wake up. :sleeping:

Susann

15. DWhatley

The cloudy eye is definitely one of the signs of death. Another is the arms curled up over the mantle but be careful with this assumption because it is not always a dead animal (I almost killed one trying to remove it thinking it was dead yesterday). Thanks for the update :fingerscrossed:

16. ayveq

Well more bad news. As I was getting ready to walk out the door I couldn't help myself and took another peek at the tank. Another perished. Sadly I think it might be the one I saw earlier who looked good hanging up in the corner. It was only a matter of 45 minutes from when I last looked.

I am hopeful, but not optimistic, that there is one surviving left. I will continue to put a little cyclopeeze in the tank for the next few days in case until I either have confirmation of the death of the final baby or until there are no sightings for some time. It is a pretty small tank with only a couple of places to hide so its not looking good.

Regardless of how this pans out, and I was certainly under no illusions that this was even a good shot, I am glad to have met D and seen her tanks! I would continue on by taking things slower. I will get a refugium up and running on my reef tank so I can raise some live food, which will benefit the reef tank regardless of anything else. Then I will slowly work on gathering the supplies needed to set up a proper ceph tank and then work on sourcing an animal. I would love to get a merc; the little bit I saw of Sleezy at D's put a little hook in my heart.

17. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

I so sorry for your loss. That stinks. Good luck with the last one.

18. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Sorry to hear it, but hopefully the third is charmed!

19. DWhatley

I will send Sleazy your compliments. If you want to try dwarfs, as you might have noted, the setup is much simpler. Even if you eventually graduate to the larger animals, keeping a dwarf tank is fun (as you noted, I keep both :wink:).

20. ayveq

Sadly it looks as though the last one has also perished. I can at least say I tried. Having done some reading on here, I am wondering if there might have been copper in the small tank (if it was used as a quarantine in its history) that could have impacted them. Startvation could not have been the problem as it was just to short of a period.

They were acclimated slowly, and since the tank is so small I just put the water they came in, plus the water that was added during acclimation, into the tank so there should have been no "shock" experienced in that regard. I do also wonder if the high flow stressed them out too much.

On the off chance the last is still alive, I have added the macroalgae and the few live mysids and pods that I had in a separate tank. I will continue to watch the tank for any signs.

I will continue to read and learn and eventually get a tank set up for a more mature animal.

:(