• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

NY aquatics Cuttle Fish Eggs In stock

They seem to be out.
I am an experienced reef keeper, but totally new to cephs. I am seeking my first clutch of eggs. Tank is ready, amphipods are plentiful! Can't find any sources when looking tonight, last week there were several. Are these things "seasonal"?

I just bought 6 eggs from BlueZoo Aquatics (journal here) and they appear to have more (as well as some that have recently hatched). All six were well inflated, 5 hatched and so far so good. Packaging and shipment were excellent.
Thanks for the tip. I ordered 5 eggs and two hatchlings, and had mixed success. Put the hatchlings in my sump with oodles of amphipods, and they are doing fine. However, all of the eggs withered away, never showing any signs of life. They were in a steady bubble stream, but not blowing around. Is the tumbler a must, or did I just get a bad stroke of luck?

Most do not use a tumbler (maybe no one else). I was experimenting with @Bret Grasse MBA 's bubbler concept . I did not try the bottles but wanted a rolling current in the net. When one seemed to be roughed up (later found it actually hatched) I reverted to non-tumbling circulation (still using the air stone). I don't think the tumbling was helpful at this stage of the eggs (@cuttlegirl maked pointed out this species does not tend its eggs and that they are laid in relatively calm waters). Bret mentioned in a private conversation that he stopped tumbling the eggs when they were close to hatching. I did have one of the 6 that did not hatch and suspect a dud. None of mine became transparent but, from Cuttlegirl's older journals, this may be a function of how much ink was applied more than any real signs of maturity.

I had tried to hatch a few of Cuttlegirl's eggs several years ago with no success. These were eggs laid late in life (CG's female laid well over 100) and the failure to hatch likely had more to do with the age of the mother than anything with egg handling.

They never had the "inflated" look out of the bag; must have been an old Mama. Disappointing. Guess I have two $50 hatchlings. Still thrilled, watching them hunt in the cheado, though!

Hard to tell with eggs, sometimes the first laid eggs were also duds, before they get the hang of making the eggs. Your eggs could have been infertile, it is always a gamble... Something could have happened to the eggs during development. The money you spend on feeding those hatchlings will far exceed the initial purchase price.

D, my female laid over 200 eggs...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back