Nutritional influences on Octopus rubescens prey selection...

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Or in other words I finally published my masters work after sitting on it for 3 years! In short what we found is that lipid digestibility in O. rubescens may influence what this octopus chooses to eat.
You can find the abstract here or you can email me for a reprint if your interested.

Sounds very interesting! I can get the full article through my institution, I'm looking forward to reading it. Do you have more papers coming from the same set of experiments?

Well done on completing your masters, too! Are you planning to continue with research?

Robyn,
Thanks! I don't have any more research directly in this vein that I will be publishing very soon. I still have about a half a dozen small datasets related to this specific research that I will be expanding on at some point, but not right now.
Yes, I have kept in research and currently I am in the 4th, and hopefully final, year of my PhD program at Washington State University. I started here only few weeks after defending my master's and somehow bringing this to publication got pushed to the back burner. I have stayed in the realm of metabolic/trophic ecological physiology of cephalopods and should be submitting a couple more papers within a month or two from my dissertation research.

Sorry to bump this thread with no new input on the topic at hand Taollan; but your PM inbox is full and this seemed the most appropriate place to post my question where you would be likely to notice it, given the subject. Repost from "A pointless thread" in the Supporters forum:
Cephkid;183906 said:
Anyone know of any resources going into great detail about cephalopod nutritional requirements, specifically minimum food particle size, what forms of carbohydrates and lipids are digestible, what general qualities are required for a food source to be recognized and accepted as such by the animal, and what constitutes a "healthy" diet? I'm taking a course on plankton biology right now, and I was wondering about the viability of using algal species (probably in the form of a condensed pellet) to supplement microcrustaceans in the diet of larval cephalopods in aquaculture. I'm sure it's a silly idea (why I didn't put this in the physiology forum), but I was hoping to just get a look around.
DWhatley suggested that I look to you and your Thesis for more info. On looking in your references, I saw several sources that I plan to look into regarding octopus diet and nutrition (probably this weekend), so now I ask if you might know of any sources you might recommend that focus specifically on (or at least pay special attention to somewhere in the body of the text) the dietary needs of larval cephalopods, progressive minimum (and maximum) acceptable food particle size for larval cephalopods throughout their development and maturation (and maybe a good rule-of-thumb for determining acceptable size of not-intact-single-prey-item food particles in order to induce successful feeding in adults), and what specific cues may trigger feeding behavior. Any help is appreciated, and if you are too busy (or simply don't know any such sources off the top of your head) that's fine. Any actual research of this nature into aquaculture would probably be a good way off for me, so I'm in no hurry.

In any case, thanks for linking to your Thesis, as it not only is interesting, but also appears to be a wellspring of helpful information!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back