NRCC

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by rlt225, Sep 9, 2008.

1. rlt225

rlt225 Larval Mass Registered

I have been trying to contact the NRCC about buying an octopus (bimac), but I have been unable to reach anyone who even knows what I'm talking about! I called the number on their website, and a woman answered who told me the NRCC isn't affiliated with the University any more, and she doesn't know how to contact them. Does anyone have any idea how to get ahold of the NRCC? Or, does anyone know of another place on the West coast that can ship an octopus to Seattle?

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

The NRCC is no longer affiliated with the University of Texas. It's recently moved to Moody Gardens and here is the new website, the page about cephs for sale:
    http://www.cephalopod.org/LiveAnimRes.cfm

Unfortunately, the old website is still online.

However, they do not sell to the general public:
    "...we can supply live squids, cuttlefishes, octopuses and chambered Nautilus ONLY to bona-fide researchers officially affiliated with either Public or Private Institutions of Education or Research, educators and teachers at any level via their affiliated institution and Public Aquariums fulfilling their charters for public education. Regrettably, we cannot provide animals to the private sector targeting the home aquarium market."

Nancy

3. mattyice

mattyice Pygmy Octopus Registered

so does that mean that a high school science teacher would be able to get a few?

4. rlt225

rlt225 Larval Mass Registered

Thank you Nancy!

5. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Perhaps, but you need to contact them to find out.

Nancy

6. mattyice

mattyice Pygmy Octopus Registered

thank you for posting up that information though :mrgreen:

so far this site has an incredible amount of information and is really helpful