NRCC closing down | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

NRCC closing down

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Most likely this is true, since they lost their grant some time ago and were looking for an alternative way to exist. They don't answer their phones or respond to email. Does anyone have any more information about the NRCC's status?

Nancy

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Nothing but more of the rumor mill. I am in the middle of a study with them, but it looks like their population and data will not be forthcoming. Very sad that it indeed seems they are going away.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Well, let's not count them out until we hear for sure.

It's very strange, because there seems to be no other source for cephs for education and research. The NRCC has been providing cephs for many years, and some good research came out of there, too.

Nancy

Brock Fluharty

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Their website says that they are currently distributing animals free of charge, buyer just has to pay shipping. Sounds like they're cleaning house :(

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
That has been up since before the beginning of the thread. The would not sell to the public but I believe they are totally closed now and the website has just not been closed down.

SabrinaR

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
I actually talked to a guy there last week, I didnt know they were closing and I was looking to volunteer. He told me that they were closing until they could find more money. They lost there funding right after IKE so they have been hanging on for a while. Now I do know that he said IKE messed up a lot of places down there though he didnt say if the NRCC was one of them. He kind of implyed that IKE was at least part of the reason they pulled the funding. He was pretty unhappy about it but thats all I know.

Members online

No members online now.

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards