• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Not really moving, eating and always white-ish

Thingymabob

Blue Ring
Registered
I bought my octopus just yesterday because they finally sell ones that arent poisonous :biggrin2: my octo doesnt seem to be eating the things im giving it like fish and crabs. its also very white! what could this mean?

Nice that you finally bought an octo.

Don't know about the white. It's sometimes the scared color. Does it look OK, or could it have a skin infection that is white?

Nancy

does it have a good hiding place? Nancy is right, white is a scared colour...

Ummm... Not htat I know much about this kinda thing as u alredy know lol... but ummm all the octos that I get that get sick always turn white and lay on their side. Sooo yeah..

Well now it seems to be okay, sorry about not replying for ages!! hehe well i gave it shrimp and the octo grabbed it and then later on spat it back out! and also i tried putting another octo in but i dont know if they were fighting or mating cause the other day i watched this documentary showing how a blue ring octo mate. very weird so i pulled them part and one octo climb out of the tank and went into the fresh water tank so i put it in a jar with salt water for now.

Thingymabob said:
Well now it seems to be okay, sorry about not replying for ages!! hehe well i gave it shrimp and the octo grabbed it and then later on spat it back out! and also i tried putting another octo in but i dont know if they were fighting or mating cause the other day i watched this documentary showing how a blue ring octo mate. very weird so i pulled them part and one octo climb out of the tank and went into the fresh water tank so i put it in a jar with salt water for now.

Hi Thingy,

Be very careful, many spp of octis are extremely intolerant of other octis in their tanks. Our P.cordiformis won't have a "friend" at any price. The midgets will. But they set up a dominance heirarchy based on size (which involves some fighting!).

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back