Not really moving, eating and always white-ish

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Thingymabob, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Thingymabob

Thingymabob Blue Ring Registered

I bought my octopus just yesterday because they finally sell ones that arent poisonous :D my octo doesnt seem to be eating the things im giving it like fish and crabs. its also very white! what could this mean?

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Nice that you finally bought an octo.

Don't know about the white. It's sometimes the scared color. Does it look OK, or could it have a skin infection that is white?

Nancy

3. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

does it have a good hiding place? Nancy is right, white is a scared colour...

4. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Well, how has it been behaving? Give it sometime to settle down, maybe its still scared from the journey.

5. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Any update? How is he?

Carol

6. Octomush

Octomush Vampyroteuthis Registered

Ummm... Not htat I know much about this kinda thing as u alredy know lol... but ummm all the octos that I get that get sick always turn white and lay on their side. Sooo yeah..

7. Thingymabob

Thingymabob Blue Ring Registered

Well now it seems to be okay, sorry about not replying for ages!! hehe well i gave it shrimp and the octo grabbed it and then later on spat it back out! and also i tried putting another octo in but i dont know if they were fighting or mating cause the other day i watched this documentary showing how a blue ring octo mate. very weird so i pulled them part and one octo climb out of the tank and went into the fresh water tank so i put it in a jar with salt water for now.

8. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Hi Thingy,

Be very careful, many spp of octis are extremely intolerant of other octis in their tanks. Our P.cordiformis won't have a "friend" at any price. The midgets will. But they set up a dominance heirarchy based on size (which involves some fighting!).

J