Not O.Hummelincki but What Species is It?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I particularily like this forum because it allows us to see different animals and study the various traits. Sometimes we don't come up with a good answer but at least the traits are noted and a second occurance of an unusual animal can be back referenced. At one time I really wanted to put traits into a database and make a multiple choice questionaire that would give a list of possibilities. I found that we really don't have a good collection of diagnostics and that I am way too novice still to establish the criteria but I keep octopusid.com so that one day I will reexamine the idea.

I am getting an octopus from Kara (sealifeInc) in the AM. It is thought to be a dwarf and has a mantle about the size of a womans first joint on the index finger. The animal was discovered in Live Rock collected on a farm off Key West. Two of my octos have come from this farm, Serendipity and Sleazy (at least I think Sleazy came from there, Ken never actually said where she came from and she may have been crab trap bi-catch given the time of year). In any case, this one is coming in the AM and from the photos, it could be either species. There is one hint that really excites me but I want to see if anyone else notices it or if it is just wishful thinking. These are cell phone photos, but more than I usually get when they send one my way.

Attachments

• conv_304262.jpg
    conv_304262.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 155
  • conv_304263.jpg
    conv_304263.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 163
When I said live brine I was suggestion adult artemia not the newly hatched nuapalii. I didn't feed brine myself because I didn't have to. Bubbles was taking the krill willingly. Anyways, what ever you do I wish you the best. I think it's awesome you've been able to get one so young.

Upvote 0
Diagnostic (maybe) photos

I still have no clue what species Monty belongs to and am posting a series of what I hope are diagnostic photos. Potentially more useful should another one show up than for getting an ID but here goes:

Attachments

• conv_297910.jpg
    conv_297910.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 113
  • conv_297907.jpg
    conv_297907.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 116
  • conv_297908.jpg
    conv_297908.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 118
  • conv_297909.jpg
    conv_297909.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
Related to O. Rubescens maybe?

I keep looking for an ID for Monty and the latest Octobot post has me thinking he is related to O. rubescens. If it were not for the eye spots he looks very similar to some of the photos of a ruby and could turn sponge orange/red when younger (I only see signs of pink now). I can't seem to find out if O. rubescens has the three tabs under the eye though (Roy has posted that one of the blue rings does so this may be somewhat common in dwarfs). The arms in particular seem to favor the ruby.

Pig Tail

Pink Coloration

Attachments

• conv_298028.jpg
    conv_298028.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 86
  • conv_298029.jpg
    conv_298029.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 109
Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back