Normal Bimac Growth?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by jkprules, Apr 7, 2008.

1. jkprules

jkprules Cuttlefish Registered

Hey guys. I've had what I'm almost positive is a bimac for the better part of five months or more. When I got him his mantal was probubly smaller than a marble. He's much bigger now but I'm not sure if he's as big as he should be. The mantal's not quite the size of a golf ball now. Is this normal or should he be bigger?

He gets three or four frozen krill a day which he happily devours. He generally ignores any more than that. Amonia and nitrites are zero with nitrates around 15-20 ppm. Specific gravity stays between 1.025 and 1.026. I have him in a 40 gallon with a 20 gallon sump/refugium. Theres around 70 lbs of live rock and a protein skimmer along with plenty of filtration. Water temp is in the low 70's.

Am I doing something wrong that I just don't know about? I feel like he should be bigger by now. He still eats and is moderately active, spending a good bit of his time out and about away from his den, so I dont think he's unhappy. Any thoughts?

2. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Hi
    what size are the frozen krill? The ones I am thinking of are barely 1cm long and in that case I'd start feeding the octopus more. I'd be looking at using crabs instead and ones with a carapace of about 1/3 to 1/2 half the size of the octopus's mantle...

let us know if that helps?

cheers

3. jkprules

jkprules Cuttlefish Registered

The krill are probubly 3/4 an inch long. Occasionally he gets a crayfish or half a raw prawn shrimp. Maybe I'll try feeding him the same ammount a few hours later and see what happens.

4. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Get him some live crabs. He may need stimulation, that doesn't sound like he's eating enough.

j

5. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

My bimac was well-fed and lived well over a year, but he never grew very large. His mantle was never larger than a golf-ball.