[non-ceph]: Thrilled to be frilled (rare live shark captured)

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
No sleeper shark this time, but very rare footage of another denizen of the deep, no true ceph connection, really, so Tony: please, move to members' area when applicable...

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
I require tight control on non-ceph threads in the public forums but there are rare exceptions... this is one of those! Fascinating story.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Ta Tony! What particularly strikes me about the pose of our frilled friend here, is that it appears as humped as some *sandtigers I've seen in aquaria around the world. Is that a pathology specific to chondrichthyes??

*Carcharias taurus (Rafinesque, 1810) AKA Odontaspis sp.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
What strikes me is (apart from the teeth :shock:) that it looks emaciated. If our sharks looked like that we'd be really worried!

But very very cool!

J

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
At first I wished to disagree, judging other (dead) examples of Chlamydoselachus anguineus I'd seen earlier, until I came accros this, the actual first video to have been shot of this elusive creature... Here's a still attached. The other attached photoshopped image (© 2003 Marine Themes Pty Ltd. All rights reserved) is likely from a dead specimen.

Members online

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
octopod

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak