• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[non-ceph]: Thrilled to be frilled (rare live shark captured)

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
No sleeper shark this time, but very rare footage of another denizen of the deep, no true ceph connection, really, so Tony: please, move to members' area when applicable...

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
It really does look more eel-like. The frilled gills are really bizarre.

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Supporter
It's mouth looks like the inside of a woodchipper with those teeth.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
I require tight control on non-ceph threads in the public forums but there are rare exceptions... this is one of those! Fascinating story.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Ta Tony! What particularly strikes me about the pose of our frilled friend here, is that it appears as humped as some *sandtigers I've seen in aquaria around the world. Is that a pathology specific to chondrichthyes??

*Carcharias taurus (Rafinesque, 1810) AKA Odontaspis sp.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
What strikes me is (apart from the teeth :shock:) that it looks emaciated. If our sharks looked like that we'd be really worried!

But very very cool!

J

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
At first I wished to disagree, judging other (dead) examples of Chlamydoselachus anguineus I'd seen earlier, until I came accros this, the actual first video to have been shot of this elusive creature... Here's a still attached. The other attached photoshopped image (© 2003 Marine Themes Pty Ltd. All rights reserved) is likely from a dead specimen.

Members online

No members online now.