[Non ceph] Monstrous sleeper shark

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by OB, Dec 29, 2006.

1. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Unfortunately, bar the (two foot?) grenadier bumping into this monster, there's no simple reference for size within the videoframe, but the sheer impression of bulk is overwhelming: remember that this is what feeds on Mesonychoteuthis! :bugout:

Edit: Apparently this is already from 1990 and based on the bait cage it was estimated at 7 meters (23 feet) in length... that's BIG.

2. Mola Mola

Mola Mola Cuttlefish Registered

I've always found Greenland sharks to be very cool, thanks for posting this. :lol: @ the people who responded to the video, some say such dumb things.

3. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

can any of you teuthologist hot shots see enough of the squid to ID it? It seems likely to be Dosidicus, but it looked a little longer and thinner...

4. OB

Oh, it's Dosidicus alright, just a fairly large specimen; the dimensions change slightly with size, and the camera's focal length makes things slightly more convincing still. I think the specimen being held by the scuba diver is close to seven feet total length, which is very considerable...

5. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Impressive, but unlikely to be feeding on Messie! The greenland sleeper shark is restricted to the Arctic and Messie to the Antarctic!

There is however a southern sleeper shark but as far as I know there is no info on it's diet..............but I wouldn't be surprised if they eat each other! (I have found shark skin in Moroteuthis guts!)

Cheers

J

6. OB

7. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Forgot that! :oops: thanks for the reminder.....but still isn't the greenland sleeper............bet they eat archi tho!

J

8. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

Funny how the title of that youtube vid is "Megalodon"...either someone's been cloning giant sharks, or the user's been ill informed of erm..current affairs.

9. hallucigenia

hallucigenia O. bimaculoides Supporter

Megalodon, eh? Hah...I particularly liked this comment:

"holy shit! IS THIS REAL?
    I HEARD ABOUT THIS BUT I NEVER NEW IT WAS REALESED"

10. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Interesting how you get such giant forms in such nutrient-poor areas. I wonder what else there is down there.

11. CapnNemo

CapnNemo Vampyroteuthis Supporter

One of the respondees to the You Tube vid reckons "in fact it was taken by the french submersible Nautile during a dive in Suruga Bay" - was any other footage from that dive released or available?

Are there any other Sleeper Shark videos around, I would be very interested to see more sleeper footage?

12. OB

Sleeper shark footage is remarkably scarce. There's some really good stuff by national geographic, which they took during their Greenland photoshoot of a few year back, but Pacific sleeper shark is a different story. I will go a hunting for it, nevertheless!

Edit: I know MBARI are sitting on a 8 foot pregnant female video, please find stills attached.

Second edit: There's a video here of a harbor branch submerisible encountering a 4.5 meter Greenland shark off the coast of Maine.

Third edit: Greenland shark video

13. CapnNemo

Many thanks Ob, that's brilliant.

Wormlike parasites in the eyes?? :yuck:

My reading of the linked to thread http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthre...h t=Kerguelen is that we never conclusively (excuse my spelling) worked out whether certain types of Sleeper prey on Messie?

Am I correct in that interpretation of the debate?

14. main_board

main_board Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I can't imagine a relatively slow moving shark with impaired eye-sight being able to pursue, or stalk, or ambush a Messie with enormous well developed eyes and amazing reflexes. I'm sure they wouldn't pass up a scavenging opportunity on a dead messie though.

Cheers!

15. Sordes

Sordes Wonderpus Registered

Although I also suppose that sleeper sharks mainly scavenge on dead or dying Mesonychoteuthis, I would not completely rule out that they are able to catch and kill such a beast. They look very sluggish, but they can also be very fast on short distances, and the lack of eyesight is surely compensited with other senses.

16. CapnNemo

Is it not pitch black 'down there' anyway?

17. OB

The copepod parasites are in most cases bioluminescent, luring prey to the shark itself; their other senses (notably the ability to sense the faintest muscular activity and changes in waterpressure) are so keen that they hardly need vision, anyway. The deep sea is rife with bioluminescence, which is the reason why there are so many visual hunters in the pitch black abyss.

18. Sordes

Animals like the Greenland sharks aren´t also only in deep water, they come even sometimes very close to the surface. Two days ago I´ve seen a very interesting documentation which showed a greenland shark swimming under the surface of the ice. As this sharks are regularly caught with hook and line or nets, they are surely not always in the real abbys.

19. OB

And, the copepods don't actually cover the entire cornea, as illustrated in this picture of Ommatokoita elongata, the parasite in question.

20. Sordes

By the way, does anybody know for what reasons sleeper sharks always look it they are already partly decomposed?