[Non-Ceph?] Looking for Fossils on Mars

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I saw the picture of this outcrop today on the Opportunity Rover Photos page, and went nuts :shock:

If ever there was a place that I would like to look for fossils, on Earth, or Mars, it looks just like this, this is it. You could take a picture of any fossil bearing, sedimentary, outcrop on Earth, and it would look just exactly like this picture. I almost saw a large ammonite sticking out of the hill (or was it a little green ammonite?).

This is a blow-up of the outcrop I got from the Mars Rover Website above, it is between 140 and 150 on the original.
Mars-Outcrop.jpg

Wow! I see what you mean, that really does look like sedimentary strata in that cliff. I wonder what the scale is and the angle of the slope? I expect the NASA geologists will be anxious to get the rover over there asap for a close up look. I hope we get a colour image too, perhaps we'll see a green ammonite yet! Will keep an eye out on the NASA page :mrgreen:

(Of course Beagle 2 would have found fossils....grrr...)

guys, UK Fossils run day trips for rockhounds but nothing is currently posted, apparently you can't fit a LWB Transit Hi-top mini-bus in the shuttle cargo bay. Anyway Architeuthoceras' ammonite could be terrestrial, the segmented micro-fossil presented to us by NASA was found here on Earth so what's to stop the Chicxulub impact from causing some mutual deposition ?
Phil, you assume Beagle 2 ist kaput, maybe it's been hidden to protect the innocent :cyclops: ?

spartacus said:
Anyway Architeuthoceras' ammonite could be terrestrial, the segmented micro-fossil presented to us by NASA was found here on Earth so what's to stop the Chicxulub impact from causing some mutual deposition ?

:biggrin2: :lol:

Excellent idea! Interesting suggestion of a reciprocal arrangement between Earth and Mars exchanging fossils via meteorite blows.

Oh I feel an attack of Paintshop Pro coming on.....

P

spartacus said:
Phil, you assume Beagle 2 ist kaput, maybe it's been hidden to protect the innocent :cyclops: ?

Nah, it's been eaten by the giant martian sand squid (Overdosus caffienensus) this beast is known only from it's tracks which were for many years erroneously called canals :shock:

J

Hi all (you're all barking),

Jean, don't be too hard on Percival Lowell. He did well to take a stab at canals, whether or not Amanita muscaria was involved. Through my scope I'd guess at fuzzy reddish thing with pale top & bottom ! Though when "seeing" is best can just make out what looks like a vehicle with UKGE on the roof. Overdosus dolmiotomatussoupus is readily evident !

Phil, I'm relieved that I can add substance to the information found at Tonmo, not being "academically" involved in cephalopodomy. I've seen some of your Paintshop Pro work & I think I can honestly say on behalf of all here that we can't wait, so spit spot ! :lol:

Arch, free your mind & you'll see all sorts :rainbow:

spartacus said:
Hi all (you're all barking),

Jean, don't be too hard on Percival Lowell. He did well to take a stab at canals,

I wasn't! It was a comment on just how large the GMSS actually is! It makes tracks soooooooo BIG that they look like canals! And it explains why they're not always visible. The sand falls in when the GMSS is not using them (y'know when they're off chasing NASA bouncing balls!)

J

Jean, do you believe in fate ?
Having just realised I missed the point of your post, I've had to sit down & take stock :bonk:

You mention huge GMSS tracks & in my celebratory post of last week I said I received "Dune" on DVD.
It's not the worms that are the spice Melange, it's the GMSS !! The secret to travelling through space & time without moving is the GMSS, & I'll bet that Phil, our reveered moderator was Phil Atreides, Phil Muad'Dib & he is now the Kwisatz Haderack !! :notworth:

Phil: What do you call the mouse sign on the second moon?
Spartacus: We call that one, Muad'Dib
Phil: Could I be known as Phil Muad'Dib?
Spartacus: You are Phil Muad'Dib.

Phil Muad'Dib: "Jean, do we have GMSS sign ?"
Jean: "Phil, we have GMSS sign the likes of which even TONMO has never seen!"
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

spartacus said:
Jean, do you believe in fate ?
Having just realised I missed the point of your post, I've had to sit down & take stock :bonk:

You mention huge GMSS tracks & in my celebratory post of last week I said I received "Dune" on DVD.
It's not the worms that are the spice Melange, it's the GMSS !! The secret to travelling through space & time without moving is the GMSS, & I'll bet that Phil, our reveered moderator was Phil Atreides, Phil Muad'Dib & he is now the Kwisatz Haderack !! :notworth:

Phil: What do you call the mouse sign on the second moon?
Spartacus: We call that one, Muad'Dib
Phil: Could I be known as Phil Muad'Dib?
Spartacus: You are Phil Muad'Dib.

Phil Muad'Dib: "Jean, do we have GMSS sign ?"
Jean: "Phil, we have GMSS sign the likes of which even TONMO has never seen!"
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I Like :twisted:

Although I had a zoology lecturer who insisted that the sandworms of Dune were in fact Nematodes. Now squid do carry Nematodes so the GMSS must be even bigger than previously thought :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

And YES "we have GMSS sign the likes of which even TONMO has never seen!"

J

Jean , if the sandworms are parasites, GMSS is leaning towards being a tad 'normous !! I always found lecturers a bit picky personally & go on & on about the same stuff.

Architeuthoceras, that's some 'scope you've got ! :notworth:
I prostrate myself before your superior aperture :cyclops:

Jean, look, tracks everywhere !!
It's quite obvious that someone has been living on Mars as NASA appear to know the names of all the Martian features before they've even been.
They treat us like we're idiots :x

I thought you chaps might be interested to see the latest colour image from Opportunity.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back