NON-CEPH. Interesting marine discoveries.

It seems like that a lot of animals are becomeing extinct every year,month,day...I figure that if this continues for the next 2oo years, only polutry, cattle and other stuff we usually eat will be left, and the rainforest will be soon gone. Not to mention fishes and other creatures that can't be reared in a tank oir fish farm. A sa worrying thought. :cry: I hope the universe blows up before this happens, at least will be still called rich in wild life and species diversity :sad:

Don't worry too much. Rats, seagulls, cockroaches, parasitic worms, etc. are looking forward to some good times in the Razed New World we're working so hard to bring about. Anything that lives off of us or our trash is going to experience a healthy amount of habitat creation.

Here's a little piece about a new species of black coral discovered off southern California.

Many of the deepwater reefs in southern California harbor remarkably healthy communities of corals, sponges, and other large invertebrates," said Love. "This may be the case because, historically, there has been relatively little trawling over reefs in our area. What we need to know is the role that these large invertebrates play as deep-water habitats for fishes and other marine life."

See, Dr. Steve O'Shea, the fishermen must be right after all. There are plenty of spots they haven't got around to destroying yet.

Ban bottom trawling!

Hmmmmm. Must be what the fisherfolk refer to as 'tiger country' - where their nets can't go.

There are a number of bathymetric and spatial refugia from fisheries impacts - some by default because of depth, some because of topography, and some because there aren't any fisheries stocks associated with them. But we're out to set aside representative areas, in addition to those that are truly unique or host weird, wonderful or otherwise spectacular fauna.

Nice to see that there are some areas that haven't been touched. I might add that there are NUMEROUS 'new species' out there; that just means that they haven't been described (some of these 'new species' have probably existed in collections for 50+ years, and they can be quite widespread in bathymetric and geographic distribution).

I met Dennis Opresko years ago (whilst at NIWA); he's responsible for identifying the 42 putative black coral species in New Zealand waters - a really top fellow!!! (Toxicologist by trade, if my recollection is correct, who works on antipatharian systematics as a bit of a hobby).
Cheers
O

myopsida said:
Unfortunately its not just trawling......the results of the January survey of bonobos in the Congo has just been announced: number of wild bonobos counted = zero.
the bottom where fishos trawl there net, must be, the only bottom steve's seen by the sounds of thing's Who get's to see down deep anyway? steve, get's to see the bottom after its be trawled 1000 times, fishos don't like to trawl over rocks or reef, it rips there net, Is this site GREENPEACE or TONMO :confused:

I think you will find that a fair number of TONMOers are conservation-minded, by dint of the fact that they care about cephalopods and the environment they (both TONMOers and cephs) live in. It's very difficult to be interested in and passionate about the natural world and the amazing creatures in it without being concerned for the (negative) impact humanity is obviously having on it - and trying to repair our mistakes.

:welcome:

wendy said:
Is this site GREENPEACE or TONMO :confused:

It is a site where people express legitimate concerns, ask legitimate questions, and generally talk about cephalopod biology and systematics.

I am proud to say that I have not seen that many bottoms!

I am extremely concerned to hear you mention 'trawled 1000 times'. That's a lot of effort!

So, Jason, oooooops, sorry, Wendy, what have I done to upset you?

What is your interest in cephalopods Wendy?
How did you happen upon TONMO?
What do you know about TONMO?
Do you understand what Greenpeace is about, and what they stand for?
Will your grandchildren respect you?
Will your children respect you?
Do you respect yourself?
Do you even like yourself?
How do you sleep?
Why don't you pack your bags?

I thought I would attempt to make sense (if possible) of this:

wendy said:
The bottom, where fishermen trawl their net, it must be, the only bottom Steve's seen by the sound of things... Who gets to see down that deep anyway? Steve, gets to see the bottom after its be trawled 1000 times. Fishermen don't like to trawl over rocks or reef, as it can rip their net. Is this site GREENPEACE or TONMO :confused:

What this means: Wendy is insinuating that Steve's opinion is biased because supposedly, he has only seen heavily trawled areas. Additionally he is saying that since this environment is hard to get to, it's preservation or indeed study is therfore irrelevant, if there is money to be made. Also he adds that fisher folk avoid rough ground as it can damage the trawl gear (which incidently, can be worth hundreds of thousands of NZ dollars). As for the last statement, yawn.

That's my translation/interpretation

wendy said:
the bottom where fishos trawl there net, must be, the only bottom steve's seen by the sounds of thing's Who get's to see down deep anyway? steve, get's to see the bottom after its be trawled 1000 times, fishos don't like to trawl over rocks or reef, it rips there net, Is this site GREENPEACE or TONMO :confused:

It seems like that Wendy is trying to say that...Ok, Matt's got it.
But I think Matt left out that since it's so deep and not much poeple get to see it, why bother? And Bottom trawling doesn't touch the bottom of the sea floor, which actually does (I think.)
If GREENPEACE would actually be in some sort of project work on TONMO, that would be good.
Wendy seems to be forgetting that GreenPeace has a piont too....that if bottom trawling does exist in the minds some...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back