[Non-Ceph] Corrie's fossil teeth

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Fossils' started by Phil, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

My good friend and work colleague Corrie has passed on these images of fossil shark's teeth and what appears to be a jaw containing more teeth to share with you all. They were found by her sister in Westgate, Thanet, Kent. This is located near Margate, about 20 miles to the north of me.

The beach exposures in this area are mostly early Eocene sands and clays that lie on top of the Cretaceous chalk that is exposed across much of Kent, most famously at Dover. As the earlier chalk is exposed in places along the shore in the area, it is possible that they are Late Cretaceous I suppose. I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at the precise date.

Any opinions as to what these are exactly? I'm sure Corrie will be looking in...

Attached Files:

2. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

And the jaw.

Attached Files:

3. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

In my not to be trusted opinion... the skinny teeth look like a Mako shark, and the one in the middle looks like a Great White tooth.

I don't know about the jaw though. I always thought that the cartilage of the jaw did not preserve well... Does the jaw have rows of teeth (teeth folded under the exposed teeth)?

Check out this link for some fossil identification info.

http://www.elasmo.com/