Nitrate in your tank

nightlife31

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score

Some nice poll, wonder what the outcome will be.
Please specify your choice with an answer.
How often do you change water, how much, etc.

NickA5582

Sepia elegans
Registered
Reaction score
I chose water changes, 15% weekly/whenever there is a problem in my tank. Parents also got me this Prime nitrite/nitrate/ammonia reducer thing, I doubt if things like this actually work though. :?

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
I change about 10 gallons per week. Unless I am feelin' overly lazy.

mikeconstable

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Nitrate reduction

The trouble with humans is that we want to SEE SOMETHING in our aquaria - & that results in high stock levels compared with the ocean. We also filter and kill those complimentary organisms in the system that could help us if we could see through them in the water and on the glass.
Nitrate is the least toxic form of chemically combined waste nitrogen in aquaria, and results from two stages of oxidation of ammonia by aerobic bacteria. In order to get rid of it you have to reduce it by using anaerobic bacteria to take it to nitrogen gas.
The trouble is that there is always the danger that they will reduce it all the way back to ammonia, the most toxic form of nitrogen.
:bonk:
(You can use the two most toxic forms to form nitrogen in the lab., ammonium nitrite --> heat --> nitrogen + steam
With the danger of an explosion? but it is not that simple in aquaria!!!)

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
I do 10-20% water changes fortnightly, I also add something alled nitritivec which contains the anaerobic bacteria.

rc

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
i have a large amount of caulerpa in the tank (kind of an in tank refugium) and a good size red tree sponge, i was an experiment at first but this seems to work i have virtually no nitrate at all, the tank has been running for about 7 months and has had an octo inhabitant for about 5
i dont hardly get anything in my protein skimmer, this seems to work very well, and the octo likes to explore and play in it

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
rc said:
i have a large amount of caulerpa in the tank (kind of an in tank refugium) and a good size red tree sponge, i was an experiment at first but this seems to work i have virtually no nitrate at all, the tank has been running for about 7 months and has had an octo inhabitant for about 5
i dont hardly get anything in my protein skimmer, this seems to work very well, and the octo likes to explore and play in it
do you do water changes or harvest the caulerpa at regular intervals?

rc

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
no, i have never done a water change, and i dont touch the caulerpa, i simply leave it alone, i have some halomeda as well, used to have some shaving brushes but the octo decided to tear them apart :bugout:

originally i put all that stuff in to experiment with an in tank refugium, but also to breed as many copepods and amphipods as possible, i was anticipating getting a baby bimac