Nice SEMs

It does help a lot with spacial imagery to know the magnification. I can't tell the actual size of what I am looking at but I can get prospective. If you magnify your thumb 1600 X's you can see finer details so it is the amount of detail with relation to normal viewing that knowing the magnification level helps intuitively understand.

Hey, I still prefer an analog clock because I can see how late I am :roll: because it displays a picture of an hour's worth of time and the relationship of the current time and when I was supposed to be somewhere. :old:

cuttlegirl;136281 said:
Yeah, it is hard to stop breathing while mounting specimens for SEM...

Yeah... don't breathe, don't sneeze (almost as difficult for me as not breathing for most people :roll:), don't drop it onto the sticky surface upside down, don't squeeze too hard otherwise you get tweezer-marks, don't let your hands shake... actually it's a wonder I got any of these pics at all. :roll:

Here are some more. These are tentacle clubs of paralarval onychoteuthids. Sorry that some have mags on them and some don't - I usually don't include them in the legend because journals don't want them, due to image resizing changing the mag. Scale bars are much preferred even if they make visualization a little harder for some.

Attachments

• conv_294175.jpg
    conv_294175.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 146
  • conv_294176.jpg
    conv_294176.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 180
  • conv_294177.jpg
    conv_294177.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 172
  • conv_294178.jpg
    conv_294178.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 182
And here are some 'how it works' photos, kind of.

1 - a normal adult arm sucker in Onychoteuthis
2 - a tentacular sucker in the middle of developing into a hook, in paralarval Onychoteuthis
3 - the 'back' (interior/aboral side) of an exposed paralarval tentacular sucker ring - the smooth rounded part in the foreground would normally be set into the sucker musculature
4 - a tentacular sucker in the middle of developing into a hook, in paralarval Onykia

Attachments

• conv_294179.jpg
    conv_294179.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 176
  • conv_294180.jpg
    conv_294180.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 156
  • conv_294181.jpg
    conv_294181.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 151
  • conv_294182.jpg
    conv_294182.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 136
I think you have the perfect collection for the horror movie industry. No need to make stuff up, just enlarge life. Magnified this way I had to go back and check that you DID say paralarval about those wicked looking hooks :biggrin2:

I don't know why, but the suckers facinate me the most.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back