[News]: The joke is over and we must face facts - Gulf Times

As far as I can tell, yes, this is sensationalism. I see the effects of Global Warming across the globe, but the recent encounters with large teuthids in polar regions strike me as being the byproduct of entering new areas and encountering the denizens. Commercial overexploitation of the globe's fisheries this may be, but global warming bringing up these large squid it is most probably not. But if an expert can persuade me otherwise on this, I welcome the conversation.

For cold-water species, global warming will contribute to their demise. Indeed, this latest example reflects our expansion into hitherto little-trawled/fished environments.

However, temperate to tropical squid have been referred to as environmental barometers, and work published by Dr George Jackson (I believe) certainly points to their increase in size in warmer, more recent years. It is quite possible that for some species the warmer conditions that we are experiencing will result in faster growth rates and greater size, but I must stress SOME species.

I quite liked that article!

Is this the one Steve,

Jackson GD & Domeier, ML 2003 The effects of an extraordinary El Nino/La Nina event on the size and growth of the squid Loligo opalescens off Southern California. Marine Biology. 142: p 925-935.

'Twas most interesting!

J

tonmo;89222 said:
Is it sensationalism to tie the colossal squid discovery with global warming? Discuss.

Without commenting much on the main thrust of the article (I'm not a vegetarian and strangely enough I AM aware that meat and fish comes from living animals). I'd agree that linking the colossal squid to global warming is sensationalist. Yes we did not previously catch these, but that is almost certainly due to the fact (which is alluded to in the article at one point) that we only recently started fishing in that area/at that depth.

Perfectly Eligible Teuthid Acronym

Re: the article that started the thread; the Meso hauled up by the longliner most likely did not "fight for two hours" but just refused to let go of its munchies...

Steve O'Shea;89242 said:
For cold-water species, global warming will contribute to their demise. Indeed, this latest example reflects our expansion into hitherto little-trawled/fished environments.

However, temperate to tropical squid have been referred to as environmental barometers, and work published by Dr George Jackson (I believe) certainly points to their increase in size in warmer, more recent years. It is quite possible that for some species the warmer conditions that we are experiencing will result in faster growth rates and greater size, but I must stress SOME species.

I quite liked that article!

Hmmm the way i see it is the end result of "global warming" is the prevalence of the next "ice age" due to the gulf stream getting cut off by huge quantities of Freshly melted ice. Tho it will get warmer first. So couldn't that make them more abundant. (sorry about the brief/cut down explanation,im tired).

Secondly you all believe in Global warming? Personally i think that its just a trough and crowns in a Milankovitch curves.

ob;89299 said:
Perfectly Eligible Teuthid Acronym

Re: the article that started the thread; the Meso hauled up by the longliner most likely did not "fight for two hours" but just refused to let go of its munchies...

As I understand it from the press releases, what took two hours was carefully maneuvering a net underneath it to get it all without totally mangling it and then carefully lifting darn near half a tonne of squid on board. I know arrow squid come apart quite easily in the kitchen, have no idea if the larger squid are similarly delicate. Anyone able to comment on the 'falling to bits' qualities of the biggies?

MikeLookingLost;89311 said:
Hmmm the way i see it is the end result of "global warming" is the prevalence of the next "ice age" due to the gulf stream getting cut off by huge quantities of Freshly melted ice. Tho it will get warmer first. So couldn't that make them more abundant. (sorry about the brief/cut down explanation,im tired).

Secondly you all believe in Global warming? Personally i think that its just a trough and crowns in a Milankovitch curves.

Not an expert, but I was under the impressiong that 'Global Warming' actually leads to localised climate change in that some places will get a lot colder, some get warmer, some get drier, some get more floods, some get tornadoes when they didn't before, etc. rather than everyone just wearing t-shirts more often.

What I do know is that I shudder to think of what will happen if the major currents start shifting, even with my limited knowledge this sounds......ungood

Cairnos;89315 said:
Anyone able to comment on the 'falling to bits' qualities of the biggies?

I've 'worn' many a big one, when moving them around (covered in digestive gland from head to toe). They are probably even more flimsy in construction that the arrows.

Cairnos;89316 said:
Not an expert, but I was under the impressiong that 'Global Warming' actually leads to localised climate change in that some places will get a lot colder, some get warmer, some get drier, some get more floods, some get tornadoes when they didn't before, etc. rather than everyone just wearing t-shirts more often.

What I do know is that I shudder to think of what will happen if the major currents start shifting, even with my limited knowledge this sounds......ungood

Lets use the less news-friendly term climate change, and yes, it does all of that. The last major high temperature spike happened over one hundred thousand years ago - not helped-along by ape-intervention like this current one. The conveyer belt got shut down, and then we got thrust into the last ice age. The major change happened within ten years. That cottage along the British coast you might have been tempted to buy? I don't know, maybe one in the Canary Islands might be more prudent.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back