[News]: The joke is over and we must face facts - Gulf Times

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Is it sensationalism to tie the colossal squid discovery with global warming? Discuss.

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, yes, this is sensationalism. I see the effects of Global Warming across the globe, but the recent encounters with large teuthids in polar regions strike me as being the byproduct of entering new areas and encountering the denizens. Commercial overexploitation of the globe's fisheries this may be, but global warming bringing up these large squid it is most probably not. But if an expert can persuade me otherwise on this, I welcome the conversation.

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
For cold-water species, global warming will contribute to their demise. Indeed, this latest example reflects our expansion into hitherto little-trawled/fished environments.

However, temperate to tropical squid have been referred to as environmental barometers, and work published by Dr George Jackson (I believe) certainly points to their increase in size in warmer, more recent years. It is quite possible that for some species the warmer conditions that we are experiencing will result in faster growth rates and greater size, but I must stress SOME species.

I quite liked that article!

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Reaction score
Is this the one Steve,

Jackson GD & Domeier, ML 2003 The effects of an extraordinary El Nino/La Nina event on the size and growth of the squid Loligo opalescens off Southern California. Marine Biology. 142: p 925-935.

'Twas most interesting!

J

Cairnos

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
tonmo;89222 said:
Is it sensationalism to tie the colossal squid discovery with global warming? Discuss.
Without commenting much on the main thrust of the article (I'm not a vegetarian and strangely enough I AM aware that meat and fish comes from living animals). I'd agree that linking the colossal squid to global warming is sensationalist. Yes we did not previously catch these, but that is almost certainly due to the fact (which is alluded to in the article at one point) that we only recently started fishing in that area/at that depth.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Perfectly Eligible Teuthid Acronym

Re: the article that started the thread; the Meso hauled up by the longliner most likely did not "fight for two hours" but just refused to let go of its munchies...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmag

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak